Polygamy
Nineteen-year-old Rose Marie Cawley has been praying a lot recently. She's been praying for inspiration from God, that he will reveal to her the name of the man she will marry.

"I could marry someone single or I could marry someone very married with three wives or 10 wives," she said. "You just have to keep your mind open."

Cawley will keep praying until inspiration strikes, just like her mother, and two other mothers before her, because in this Centennial Park, Ariz., polygamist community, God reveals to the women who they will marry.

"This is my choice," Cawley said. "I chose to basically give myself over to the heavenly father to place me with whoever he chooses."

Centennial Park, Ariz., is a remote town just over the Utah border and it is home to 1,500 fundamentalist Mormons. They still believe that plural marriage, one of the religious teachings of Mormon founder Joseph Smith, was ordained by God and that a man receives a higher form of Salvation when he has several wives.

http://news.yahoo.com/modern-polygamy-ar...ories.html
I've watched Polygamy, USA and quite a few of the Sister Wives episodes (during exam time - finished them today! - I watched a lot of Fundie Mormon documentaries and reality tv. Not sure why, but there it is) - it all seems quite strange.
I think it makes sense.  If you can convince someone their immortal soul is in danger of hellfire, you can make them believe anything you want.
(06-22-2013, 01:41 PM)Melkite Wrote: I think it makes sense.  If you can convince someone their immortal soul is in danger of hellfire, you can make them believe anything you want.

You could say that about our Faith.
(06-22-2013, 05:27 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(06-22-2013, 01:41 PM)Melkite Wrote: I think it makes sense.  If you can convince someone their immortal soul is in danger of hellfire, you can make them believe anything you want.

Only our faith doesn't reject reason, and we don't have a false gospel (the Book of Mormon).
(06-22-2013, 05:27 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:

That was kind of my point.
The ridiculous state of modern law enforcement truly disgusts me.
Yeah, Mormons of all stripes, whether they'll admit it or not, think that man is  meant to polygamous. Fundamentalist Mormons believe in polygamy now, and LDS mainstream believe in polygamy in the afterlife. Where, they believe, they will progress to become gods with a multitude of wives who will be eternally birthing spirit children to populate their universe.

Sounds like a real win for the ladies! A physical body in the afterlife, which is eternally pregnant and eternally giving birth.

I'm good, no thank you!
If two men, or two women can be allowed to "marry" by the state, I really find it mind boggling that the state then tells polygamists that their marriage is unnatural and immoral.