FE Challenge: Act of Kindness In the Name of Jesus

[Image: 2hearts.bmp]

The challenge:

I issue a challenge to all you Fishies out there and to all the folks who, thus far, read without registering or posting:

I challenge each of you to perform at least one random act of kindness within the next week.  If you can, let it be known that you're doing the act in the Name of Jesus (if it's applicable -- i.e., if you're in the position to communicate anything to the person you're being kind to) and, if possible, perform your act anonymously. If you can't do it anonymously or expressly in the Name of Jesus, then do it anyway and offer it up to Jesus. I just think that doing it anonymously, if possible, would give the whole project an air of mystery and will more likely to make people think about Jesus rather than you.

Then come to this thread and post about it, telling us what you did, what sort of reactions you got, how you think you helped someone.

Things you could do:

Pay for some random person's lunch at a restaurant. Ask the waitress for, say, the bill of some old lady a few tables away, someone you've never met and likely never will again, and pay it, asking the waitress to not say anything about who paid, but to just tell the patron that her bill was paid in the Name of Jesus (and don't forget to give the waitress at least 18%!).

Go to a place where you're likely to find homeless people and drop a ten dollar bill on the sidewalk -- with a Post-It note attached saying, "This is being given to you in the Name of Jesus."

If you're in line at a place like, say, McDonalds, give the person behind the counter $5 and ask them to use it toward the bill of someone random behind you without saying whom it came from. Then just sit back and watch the reaction. Or, better, film it without showing the person's face, and share it here!

If you're gonna wash your car, offer to wash your neighbor's car while you're at it. Or mow her lawn. Or take her trash cans back up to her house. Or whatever.

Buy a dozen roses and hand them out randomly to older women on the street, with a note attached that says something like, "You're a beloved child of God. This beautiful rose is for you, in the Name of Jesus."

Buy some puzzle magazines and take them to a nursing home and hand them out. Or call a nursing home and ask the person in charge of activities what sorts of things (and maybe foods?) you could bring that might make the patients happy.

If you know a couple that trusts you, offer them babysitting services for an evening so they can have a night out together.

Buy some nice, laminated holy cards in bulk -- ones that focus on Christ -- and just hand them out.

Go donate blood.

If you've got some nice things you don't need and live in a place conducive to this sort of thing, put the items near the sidewalk and hang a "Free! Just Take What You Need!" sign.

If you're like too many Americans and don't know who lives around you, introduce yourself to your neighbors, giving them cards with your name and phone number on them, inviting them to call you if they need you.

Set up a free lemonade stand in a busy place on a hot Summer day.

Write a letter of appreciation to someone who's made a difference in your life but whom you've never stopped to thank.

Tell people you haven't told in a while that you love them.

Secretly leave a box of non-perishable groceries and drugstore items on the porch of a poor family.

This one sounds fun!:  pick a random state or region in your country, then a random city, then a random name from the phone book, and write out a pretty card with inspiring words about Christ on it. Then mail it, with or without a return address and explanation.

Put a $5 bill (with the Post-It note) under the windshield wiper of the crappiest-looking car in a parking lot and surreptitiously watch the reaction of the owner returning to his car and finding it.

Post other ideas! Post your stories!

Hmmm. No can do. Can't leave my basement. I just recently purchased a copy of Dungeons and Dragons limited edition set 64 with the Dragons Seal.

But this is a great idea Vox  :grin: My favourite is handing out scapulars and holy cards. I must admit though that my intentions are usually to entice the person to come to the TLM so the merchandise is more of a convo starter unless it's a scapular in which case I can talk for a long time about it.
(06-11-2013, 10:50 AM)Felix E Wrote: Hmmm. No can do. Can't leave my basement. I just recently purchased a copy of Dungeons and Dragons limited edition set 64 with the Dragons Seal.

But this is a great idea Vox  :grin: My favourite is handing out scapulars and holy cards. I must admit though that my intentions are usually to entice the person to come to the TLM so the merchandise is more of a convo starter unless it's a scapular in which case I can talk for a long time about it.

I posted somewhere once about "business cards" I have with the FishEaters website URL on it... You could write the location of your city's TLM location on them and hand them out.  If you want cards like that, send me a SASE and I can send however many will fit in the envelope and that the postage you attach will handle.  The cards look like this:

[Image: cardfront1.jpg]
with this on the back:

[Image: cardback1.jpg]
Nice cards! But I ain't paying for P&P for stuff from America  :grin: There's also no regular TLM here. Sigh.
(06-11-2013, 11:06 AM)Felix E Wrote: Nice cards! But I ain't paying for P&P for stuff from America  :grin: There's also no regular TLM here. Sigh.

Felix, in the name of Jesus, I agree to pay for postage from Indiana to your UK address.

Vox, please let me know what the postage is.

-- Anonymous.
(06-11-2013, 11:22 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 11:06 AM)Felix E Wrote: Nice cards! But I ain't paying for P&P for stuff from America  :grin: There's also no regular TLM here. Sigh.

Felix, in the name of Jesus, I agree to pay for postage from Indiana to your UK address.

-- Anonymous.

LOL. Please no! I have enough charity directed my way. I agree to not let you pay for any postage for anything for me. I agree to let you keep your cash  :grin:
(06-11-2013, 11:25 AM)Felix E Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 11:22 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote:

-- Anonymous.

LOL. Please no! I have enough charity directed my way. I agree to not let you pay for any postage for anything for me. I agree to let you keep your cash  :grin:

In the name of Jesus?

Well, there goes that idea! I was gonna say that the postage would cost about $20,000 dollars :P
During the $$ Crisis, I had t going on with scapulars and rosaries. The Scapulars I bought from the Carmelites and the rosaries were from Fr. Gruner's Fatima Shop. During the time when there was some activity at Knock, and possibly new apparitions of Our Lady there, I found many ex-Irish less than practicing Catholics at the Saloon, and the scapulars and rosaries did some good.

There is a priest here in the larger neighborhood that pops in at the saloons. He's looking for the lost sheep, and he plays guitar and drinks beer pretty well I hear. Yes he's a new priest, but I've heard he's pretty good. I want to run into him at a saloon, and see if I can be a compliment with scapulars and rosaries. So far I haven't run into him.

I chimed in here because Felix said something similar. I think it's a good way to bring the Faith to the fallen and those that do not know. There are scapulars for cheap online and rosaries to match. For effect I carried them in a drawstring pouch which I kept in my inside breast pocket. Nothing can give the effect of how special these are after you've told them but pulling out the pouch and loosening the drawstrings. It give the air of ancient and reminds them nothing has changed, ever.

tim
I think some of these things would get me arrested.

Also, if you tell anyone what you do, it diminishes the value of your deed.