Judeo-Christian and why do Christians embrace Jews?
(08-23-2013, 07:52 AM)medievalman86 Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 09:25 AM)IrishCowboy Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 12:08 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote: True, they handed Our Lord over to the Romans for crucifixion.....

They did more than hand Him over.  They thrust Him upon the Romans.  The Roman authorities wanted nothing to do with Him.  Pilate found no guilt in him, and would have freed Him, had not the rabble (led by the "authorities") demanded His crucifixion.  They would have killed Him themselves, but it was illegal.  At least that's my understanding.

I realize I'm a late comer to this discussion but remember the whole reason Christ came was to die. Unless He wasn't meant to die and I'm mistaken? 

Which doesn't make killing Him any less sinful. If you're intimating what I think you're intimating, then it's sort of like saying what Adam and Eve did with that apple was OK because God knew what they'd do. I mean, it's not like the rabbis of the time were acting out of the goodness of their hearts, thinking to themselves, "Gee, let's do these pre-Christians a favor and kill that Guy so they think they can be saved" LOL

In any case, it was definitely 1st c. Jews who wanted Him dead, but the guilt for it lies with all of us sinners. From Pope St. Pius V's Catechism of the Council of Trent:  "In this guilt are involved all those who fall frequently into sin; for, as our sins consigned Christ the Lord to the death of the cross, most certainly those who wallow in sin and iniquity crucify to themselves again the Son of God, as far as in them lies, and make a mockery of Him. This guilt seems more enormous in us than in the Jews, since according to the testimony of the same Apostle: If they had known it, they would never have crucified the Lord of glory; while we, on the contrary, professing to know Him, yet denying Him by our actions, seem in some sort to lay violent hands on him."

Just something to ponder (while also defending against the ridiculous insinuations from the ADL-type camp that it was everyone BUT the Jews who wanted Him dead. It was the Romans or the Ugandans or the Swedes, maybe, but couldn't have been the Jewish people of the time, nevermind the Gospels and what their own Talmud says)
I just wanted to post in this thread that at the Novus Ordo I attended yesterday we prayed for the Jewish people as they celebrate Rosh Hashanah.  I'm a Jewish convert and of course struggle with traditional Catholic teaching on what's going to happen with my family, but how did the Church go from praying for their conversion on Good Friday to praying that they have a blessed Rosh Hashanah, a non-Catholic holiday? Up is down and down is up.
I just wanted to chime in a bit. I think this entire affair is from the Scofield Bible. He is the guy that said the Covenant is still binding causing this duality. What I think is interesting as a mental exercise is what if all the current Jews up and accept Christ as the Messiah en masse. You know let's say the leaders in Israel wake up and say
OOPS, we were mistaken and on further review Jesus Christ is the Messiah, and the Catholic Church which offers a sacrifice worthy of God is the heir to Israel.

Can you imagine the turmoil. Hagee would go on a diet.

tim
(09-02-2013, 07:18 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I just wanted to post in this thread that at the Novus Ordo I attended yesterday we prayed for the Jewish people as they celebrate Rosh Hashanah.  I'm a Jewish convert and of course struggle with traditional Catholic teaching on what's going to happen with my family, but how did the Church go from praying for their conversion on Good Friday to praying that they have a blessed Rosh Hashanah, a non-Catholic holiday? Up is down and down is up.

Look for an article called "How Jews Changed Vatican Thinking" on this page somewhere: http://www.fisheaters.com/jcintro.html
(09-02-2013, 09:44 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(09-02-2013, 07:18 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I just wanted to post in this thread that at the Novus Ordo I attended yesterday we prayed for the Jewish people as they celebrate Rosh Hashanah.  I'm a Jewish convert and of course struggle with traditional Catholic teaching on what's going to happen with my family, but how did the Church go from praying for their conversion on Good Friday to praying that they have a blessed Rosh Hashanah, a non-Catholic holiday? Up is down and down is up.

Look for an article called "How Jews Changed Vatican Thinking" on this page somewhere: http://www.fisheaters.com/jcintro.html

Thanks Vox...I will definitely read!