The Pope: Finish your dinner
Holy Father has some very good points worth making. Hunger is a shame in today's world as like half the food is wasted and there's all the political, corporate games tied into controlling prices and markets.

No one should go hungry but they do.

He's speaking to the world, the USA is a different animal as we have such extremes and our main foodstuffs are processed, cheap junk that make you sick. Our poor ends up eating foods that are cheap, empty calories.

It's actually cheaper to buy fast food than to properly cook a meal you piece together in a store. $3-4 of things off a dollar menu is cheaper than preparing a meal at home.
How about paying farmers to destroy food to control prices?
It's also cheaper, faster, and better-tasting to make Stouffer's lasagna than to buy all the ingredients and make it yourself. 3 bucks for a lasagna at Publix!

Anyway...yes, hunger is a shame, but don't blame me for not cleaning my plate. If I shipped my left-overs to Nigeria, it would be rotten before it got there. If I sent $500 to Uganda to help the homeless, the money would go to corrupt politicians/warlords to buy AK-47s for their child soldiers. If I gave the money to a big name NGO, 85% of it would go to "administrative" or "fund-raising" expenses, or straight into the CEO's pocket.

The point is, there is absolutely no causal relationship between me not eating that extra hotdog and the starvation of Pedro on the other side of the world. And why are we being fed liberal self-loathing and first-world guilt from the pope? Isn't that the job of the media lib-tards? Why not just make Bono Pope?
(06-14-2013, 03:58 PM)charlesh Wrote: It's also cheaper, faster, and better-tasting to make Stouffer's lasagna than to buy all the ingredients and make it yourself. 3 bucks for a lasagna at Publix!

Anyway...yes, hunger is a shame, but don't blame me for not cleaning my plate. If I shipped my left-overs to Nigeria, it would be rotten before it got there. If I sent $500 to Uganda to help the homeless, the money would go to corrupt politicians/warlords to buy AK-47s for their child soldiers. If I gave the money to a big name NGO, 85% of it would go to "administrative" or "fund-raising" expenses, or straight into the CEO's pocket.

The point is, there is absolutely no causal relationship between me not eating that extra hotdog and the starvation of Pedro on the other side of the world. And why are we being fed liberal self-loathing and first-world guilt from the pope? Isn't that the job of the media lib-tards? Why not just make Bono Pope?

Strong trolling brah. Not sure if srs?

Cleaning your plate is like Manners 101 you get taught as a 5 year old save for sickness etc. If you put it there you eat it. Wasting food can be mortally sinful. Real talk.
Might be Manners 101, as you say, but Charlesh makes a valid point.
(06-14-2013, 04:09 PM)Texican Wrote: Might be Manners 101, as you say, but Charlesh makes a valid point.

That it's liberal self-loathing to not waste food and be a greedy guts?
Please...
It's systemic not personal evil. The point is you're involved, but may not be culpable. He isn't speaking to you specifically, but of the system which produces this waste. Don't resist the message that most of the waste stems from our culture. And if you are clean of any guilt, then why would it bother you that the message is being preach to those who are involved directly? And as for it being an appropriate topic, having food is basic to having a spiritual life. The common good is a central point of Catholic social teaching.

As for systemic evil, listen to this talk about environmentalism. Don't mind the topic, unless you want to, mind the idea of cold evil and powerlessness.

http://archive.org/details/AndrewKimbrel...ctober2000

Move forward to 9 minutes.

Or another version of the talk (go to 4:15), which is better (I think).

I understand the concept of "social sin," or "systemic sin." I grew up in one of the most environmentally progressive counties west of California. The evil usually never amounts to a personal sin, so it actually isn't sin at all. It's the kind of socially-aware babble that people like Bono and the Hollywood libs talk about in order to feel like they care.

Here's an example. In middle school, when they weren't talking about the whales, they were drilling us on ways to conserve water, apparently because they don't have much water in Arabia or some other place nowhere near here. Here is how it goes: basically, if you use water to shave, take showers any longer than 25 seconds, or flush the toilet more than once a week, you're a bad, uncaring person, complicit in the water shortages in the Saharan oases. Please. I'm sorry the people in the Sahara don't have water, but we do here so I'm going to use it and not feel guilty about having it. If that makes me an evil person, so be it. I'm not going to confession till I skip Mass and run down a few old ladies on the way to the mall.

The cause of so much hunger isn't the evil greed of countries on the other side of the world. It's because of local problems, usually political, usually because of real people committing real sins. Or it could be because of mismanagement of resources, which can be corrected by education. Or it could be because of a number of reasons, but it is not because some nations 5,000 miles away are prosperous. To say that it is, yes, amounts to liberal self-loathing. Worse, it is the mentality of re-distribution of wealth, admittedly a concern of the marxist Jesuits for quite some time. "The poor you will always have with you." You relieve them as much as you can--you--not some abstract system.
I feel like this Pope doesn't really understand that his job is to confirm us in our sense of self-satisfaction and complacency. What a libtard!