The Pope: Finish your dinner
(06-14-2013, 04:17 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: And if you are clean of any guilt, then why would it bother you that the message is being preach to those who are involved directly?

What bothers me is that the highest authority in the universe has been reduced to greeting card messages and fortune cookie wisdom.

I really don't see why I'm alone on this. I thought I'd be preaching to the choir here.
Some of the envelopes my parish uses say "the bread which you do not eat is the bread of the hungry."
"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"
---Pink Floyd, Another Brick In The Wall

(06-14-2013, 08:14 PM)charlesh Wrote:
(06-14-2013, 04:17 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: And if you are clean of any guilt, then why would it bother you that the message is being preach to those who are involved directly?

What bothers me is that the highest authority in the universe has been reduced to greeting card messages and fortune cookie wisdom.

I really don't see why I'm alone on this. I thought I'd be preaching to the choir here.

I agree with you. I'm on your side.

I remember hearing all of that crap in school too. That and all about the starving Ethiopian children. I try to not be personally wasteful (I don't buy stuff I don't need, only buy the food I'm going to eat, etc), but I am not personally responsible for systemic problems.
(06-14-2013, 08:14 PM)charlesh Wrote:

Wisdom is wisdom. Truth is truth. Just because a lot of tree hugging hippies are into social justice doesn't make all social justice wrong. It's not like the Pope is devoting his entire papacy to making sure you all clean your plate. It's a simple spiritual lesson from the Vicar of Christ: don't be greedy, don't be wasteful, and remember the poor.

Hippies love the words of Our Lord when it comes to the poor and hypocrisy. Does that mean Jesus is reduced to fortune cookie status?

Honestly I am not seeing the problem here.
Charlesh made it his issue. He could have ignored it, but he posted it here, and then pretends like he is being burdened by having to speak about it. Don't be captious. You were just looking for something to complain about the Pope. Guess what, if you talked to Mother Teresa, she would probably bring up the poor and hungry. That was her charism. Obviously this Pope holds the poor dear to him. Apparently his first encyclical will be on the poor. If you think like he isn't talking to you, fine, but don't pretend like this isn't a central social question, and a central aspect of the our Catholic practice. They're the corporal works of mercy. And it isn't in neglect of the spiritual works. He is also hitting hard on the demonic. So just don't be looking for something to complain about.
(06-13-2013, 03:31 AM)charlesh Wrote: Pope Francis has said that there are people starving all over the world, and it's your fault for not cleaning your plate. If you had just eaten that last macaroni noodle, little shoeless Juanito in Ek Balam would still be alive. How could you?

He also said to wash your hands after using the toilet, hold hands when crossing a street, and don't accept any apples from strangers.

Wasting food is like stealing from poor, pope says
Reuters
http://news.yahoo.com/wasting-food-steal...28292.html

The poor my ass. No no no... this past Sunday, the Pope blessed a corporation (Harley Davidson) and the motorcyclists who identify SO CLOSELY with their "hogs" that the material goods are part of their souls. (Seriously, some kind of "we love Harley Davidson" anniversary, and I guess they wanted to bless the Vatican with their love of motorcycles).

Big fat COMMERCIAL SIGNS for a huge company were what was celebrated during that Harley "mass", so the bishop of rome needs to shut it with the "don't eat food" BS. I have tried so hard to find some authenticity —We're not talking about the Pope blessing people who ride camels to get to their next encampment in the desert; we're talking about MAMMON ENTHUSIASTS acting like a special breed of Centaurs ("hell on wheels") PIMPING a company brand of EXPENSIVE motorcycles. Nah, don't work like that.

[Image: vAzde.gif]

You know, I really thought kissing the Qu'ran was the height, the Absolute HEIGHT, of "stuff that'll piss God off" —but to bless Harleys (again, motorcycles belonging to people who believe some material machine is part of their soul), while telling everyone else to finish that sandwich, took things to a whole NEW level.

Almost took a turn to Mecca to see if Mohammed had a point, but street people made me realize the Holy Spirit is still in the Church ...though I doubt for long. I'm not a prophet, and I'm not going to pretend to be one, but ...well, who are we kidding here. People who believe in Jesus have no business at the Vatican. "Baptism by fire" indeed. I think I pulled my Purgatory time, at least, and will go straight to Heaven after that debacle.
I am not anti-Harley, I think they're pretty cool and all, but I am in complete agreement with you.
I don't see anything wrong with the Pope blessing people on motorcycles who came to his audience, as part of othe events they were there for.

Pope Leo XIII blessed Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show after they staged a cowboys versus indians shootout in St. Peter's square.  He also gave them (in full costume) a personal tour of the Vatican accompanied by a band playing western songs.  As an aside, Buffalo Bill was not a Catholic at the time, but he supposedly converted on his death bed.
(06-19-2013, 12:20 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Pope Leo XIII blessed Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show after they staged a cowboys versus indians shootout in St. Peter's square.  He also gave them (in full costume) a personal tour of the Vatican accompanied by a band playing western songs.

Awesome. LOL The more we know our history, the less we are scandalized, I think.