The Pope: Finish your dinner
(06-19-2013, 12:20 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: I don't see anything wrong with the Pope blessing people on motorcycles who came to his audience, as part of othe events they were there for.

Pope Leo XIII blessed Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show after they staged a cowboys versus indians shootout in St. Peter's square.  He also gave them (in full costume) a personal tour of the Vatican accompanied by a band playing western songs.  As an aside, Buffalo Bill was not a Catholic at the time, but he supposedly converted on his death bed.

If it weren't for the "finish your meager meals lest you steal from the poor," and other attributes of Pope Poormeister, I'd agree entirely. Our family (and most of our parishioners) get our cars and some other materialistic things blessed. But those bikes are expensive and use a lot of gas; you just want to ask, couldn't that gas feed the poor?

Papa BXVI actually blessed something like (different brand I think) that when asked. If Pope Francis wasn't telling us to lick our plates clean or we're killing homeless, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Reminds me of Al Gore going on about global warming while he himself has personal jets and burns more ozone than some entire states. (I made that stat up, but I bet it's not far off. :LOL: )
the pope must not have gotten the memo that he is supposed to stroke Charlesh's ego and tell him what an awesome trad he is.  :LOL:
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
Maybe we should be more sensitive to the plight of those who don't get enough to eat.
Go Heat! I heard the best seats in the house last night were $25,000. That money could have fed people in Africa. Those basketball fans are makin people starve!

Fortune: "Man who spend 25,000 dolla on seat, watch San Antonio get ass beat."

Lucky Numbers 5 4 9 4 1 0
(06-21-2013, 11:02 PM)Poche Wrote: Maybe we should be more sensitive to the plight of those who don't get enough to eat.

We ARE! Seriously, even the NO Cats are. Our local NOs are an embarrassment to the history of Catholicism, but they feed some poor.  Atheists feed the poor, for Heaven's sake. Maybe it's more of a SAmerican issue, and I can def. see it being an African/Balkan issue, but for the rest of us it seems to jacked up because we DO that. It's like telling us to take a bath or comb our hair!

Now if he wants to talk about equal distribution of food, talk to the governments. But really, "leaving food on the plate" is robbing from the poor? No, it is not. I'm not taking my leftovers and scraping them into a bag and giving them to a street person, because my "leftovers" are usually (1) restaurant served too much and it's foul, or (2) bones and gristle.

The Pope could have said (and maybe indeed meant) "eat cheaper food"; or "take a guy a sandwich"; but he sorta seemed to b*tch-slap the laity (again, even the NOs!) for consuming food in a manner similar to how Judas berated the Son of God for wasted perfume.

And what happened to "not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." ???

^ THAT means something: atheists and Churches are feeding people with food and water [where the country isn't war-torn, and sometimes even then!), but what the POOR aren't getting is the WORD OF GOD; the Church; the Holy Eucharist!

Does that make sense to anyone here? I'm not saying it right, but if someone could put it together better for me, about what the Pope SHOULD be saying, but is telling us elementary things and leaving out giving the Passion of the Christ to those who most need to hear it and have hope, please, express it for me. (I'm Ambiened up; again, sorry. Jetlag, and Ambien.)
Considering the plight of Christians in Syria and across the Middle East, Pope Francis advised aid agencies for Christians in the region to ground their work in prayer and the sacraments.

“I ask you to accompany me in uniting faith with charity … collaborate 'in the faith and in the charity of Jesus Christ our God,'” the Bishop of Rome said at a June 20 audience with the Reunion of Aid Agencies for the Oriental Churches at the Vatican's Consistory Hall.

“Remembering,” he added, “that our work will be effective only if it is rooted in faith, nourished by prayer, especially by the Holy Eucharist, the Sacrament of faith and charity.”

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/p...ddle-east/
The Pope has more to say on the food crisis;
Pope Francis said on Thursday that financial speculation and corruption were keeping millions of people in hunger and the financial crisis could not be used as an alibi for failing to help the poor.

The speech was the latest in a series of criticisms by the Argentinian pontiff, the first Latin American pope, of what he has called "the dictatorship of the economy" and the spread of consumerist values.

"It is a well-known fact that current levels of production are sufficient, yet millions of people are still suffering and dying of starvation. This is truly scandalous," he said in a speech to participants of a United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization conference in Rome.

Francis has made repeated calls to tackle poverty and focus on the needs of the poor since he succeeded Pope Benedict in March. He has made it his mission to rejuvenate an institution reeling from scandals, including widespread sexual abuse by priests, and losing people to other faiths.

"A way has to be found to enable everyone to benefit from the fruits of the earth, and not simply to close the gap between the affluent and those who must be satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table," he said.

There is a need to oppose the shortsighted economic interests and the mentality of power of a relative few who exclude the majority of the world's peoples." he said.

Speaking earlier this month ahead of the G8 summit of world leaders, Francis denounced what he called a culture of waste in an increasingly consumerist world and said throwing away good food was like stealing from poor people.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-blames-specul...VM-;_ylv=3
(06-19-2013, 01:07 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: The poor my ass. No no no... this past Sunday, the Pope blessed a corporation (Harley Davidson) and the motorcyclists who identify SO CLOSELY with their "hogs" that the material goods are part of their souls. (Seriously, some kind of "we love Harley Davidson" anniversary, and I guess they wanted to bless the Vatican with their love of motorcycles).

Big fat COMMERCIAL SIGNS for a huge company were what was celebrated during that Harley "mass", so the bishop of rome needs to shut it with the "don't eat food" BS. I have tried so hard to find some authenticity —We're not talking about the Pope blessing people who ride camels to get to their next encampment in the desert; we're talking about MAMMON ENTHUSIASTS acting like a special breed of Centaurs ("hell on wheels") PIMPING a company brand of EXPENSIVE motorcycles. Nah, don't work like that.

[Image: vAzde.gif]

You know, I really thought kissing the Qu'ran was the height, the Absolute HEIGHT, of "stuff that'll piss God off" —but to bless Harleys (again, motorcycles belonging to people who believe some material machine is part of their soul), while telling everyone else to finish that sandwich, took things to a whole NEW level.

Almost took a turn to Mecca to see if Mohammed had a point, but street people made me realize the Holy Spirit is still in the Church ...though I doubt for long. I'm not a prophet, and I'm not going to pretend to be one, but ...well, who are we kidding here. People who believe in Jesus have no business at the Vatican. "Baptism by fire" indeed. I think I pulled my Purgatory time, at least, and will go straight to Heaven after that debacle.

Don't say that the Holy Father needs to "shut it" on this forum. Have some respect.  You can disagree with him without doing that...

And what's the beef with Harleys anyway? If you don't ride, then you might not "get it," but don't mess with people who do. Dang.

Anyway, Charlesh obviously has a point about the fact that our cleaning our plates or not isn't going to affect whether some kid in Ethiopia gets to eat or not. And he has a point about the problem being a systemic one, and one that likely won't be solved until governments get out of the way and the greed-meisters stop playing games, things little old you and little old me have no control over whatsoever barring revolution, which we good Catholics aren't supposed to mess with in the first place. To me, those things are sorta obvious.

But the Holy Father makes sense in trying to get people to consider the poor, to not be wasteful, to be good stewards, to engage in charity, etc.

I'm not sure why people resort to personal attacks -- on other posters and toward the Pope himself -- in order to explain their thinking. Sigh.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.