The Pope: Finish your dinner
There's a problem with economic development in the third world and even the second. All of the NGO's that lend with money from the Banksters require the use of contraception. I don't know where the Church if it became a proponent of these loans would find the $$$ without strings attached. Rothschild said long ago if he was allowed to control a country's $$$, he didn't care what laws they made he'd run the country. True dat !

tim
Again: nothing against Harleys. I'm a Saab enthusiast and I get it: appreciation for art of engineering.

"Shut it" maybe more as in "shut it down" — the various reports from the Curia which are making the Pope seem a bit bipolar (until a retraction comes out). His first 100 days anniversary was marked with saying that for all the purported changes coming regarding various issues (note: NONE of which the Holy Father promised), "nothing has changed." (One or two articles mentioned the committee on Curia reform in the fall; but the more virulent articles mentioned that the Pope hadn't "fired" any paedos—um, somebody stopped ordinations in Scotland, which caused quite a stir! Somebody put O'Brien on lockdown and, when he didn't obey, sent him packing out of Scotland).

Regardless, there is clearly a disinformation campaign right from the Vatican: we've gotten distorted sermons/messages from the Holy Father; "mistaken reports" (like, "All Atheists Can Go to Heaven" and "The Pope Hates Nuns!") that had no business ever being printed; and lots of speculation about what the Pope may or may not have said/promised which was somehow turned into bona fide truth.

Also, when I was there, there were rumors (and I think I saw an affirmation later) that the Vatican invited the Harley anniversary bikers to get blessed before last Sunday's Mass -- it is unique for the Vatican to reach out to a commercial enterprise celebration, especially for such a display before Mass (roaring engines, etc). —Anyone else wonder if the Pope really extended an invitation to bikers for a blessing? Did the Pope come up with that idea, or did someone else orchestrate it to possibly make the Pope look like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth?

I really think someone in the Vatican is out to make the Pope look bad (and I can imagine a few reasons why, the first being the Curia reform). I'm not sure how much the Holy Father reads the papers, how he gets his news, etc. I hope he doesn't see the nasty comments he gets on Twitter (nastier than what non-Cats wrote to Papa BXVI!) But I am glad he opts NOT to live @ the apostolic palace (it could show he doesn't trust the Vatican). And I really pray he finds some people in the Vatican he can TRUST that will help him steer the ship right.

The Pope needs to clean house. Too many mixed signals and misquotations, and I'm not believing anything unless I see it with my eyes or read it on vatican.va (and even then, sadly, I'm going to wonder if that's what the Pope really said).
(06-23-2013, 02:31 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: Again: nothing against Harleys. I'm a Saab enthusiast and I get it: appreciation for art of engineering.

"Shut it" maybe more as in "shut it down" — the various reports from the Curia which are making the Pope seem a bit bipolar (until a retraction comes out). His first 100 days anniversary was marked with saying that for all the purported changes coming regarding various issues (note: NONE of which the Holy Father promised), "nothing has changed." (One or two articles mentioned the committee on Curia reform in the fall; but the more virulent articles mentioned that the Pope hadn't "fired" any paedos—um, somebody stopped ordinations in Scotland, which caused quite a stir! Somebody put O'Brien on lockdown and, when he didn't obey, sent him packing out of Scotland).

Hey, now, don't mess with bipolars :P

(06-23-2013, 02:31 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: Regardless, there is clearly a disinformation campaign right from the Vatican: we've gotten distorted sermons/messages from the Holy Father; "mistaken reports" (like, "All Atheists Can Go to Heaven" and "The Pope Hates Nuns!") that had no business ever being printed; and lots of speculation about what the Pope may or may not have said/promised which was somehow turned into bona fide truth.

That stuff isn't coming from "the Vatican"; that's coming -- and has been coming -- from the secular news media for eons. Anything they can do to distort Catholic teaching, make the Church look foolish or inconsistent or evil, that's what they'll do. Nothing new there, folks. Move along...

(06-23-2013, 02:31 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: Also, when I was there, there were rumors (and I think I saw an affirmation later) that the Vatican invited the Harley anniversary bikers to get blessed before last Sunday's Mass -- it is unique for the Vatican to reach out to a commercial enterprise celebration, especially for such a display before Mass (roaring engines, etc). —Anyone else wonder if the Pope really extended an invitation to bikers for a blessing? Did the Pope come up with that idea, or did someone else orchestrate it to possibly make the Pope look like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth?

Not seeing how the Pope's having blessed Harleys or bikers makes it such that he's "talking out of both sides of his mouth" when he also talks about what amounts to stewardship, not wasting our resources, etc. As to "roaring engines" before Mass:  that's how they arrived at St. Peter's. Back in the day, they'd have arrived on horses, with all the stuff coming out of the horses' back ends arriving with them. The bikers were pilgrims, and power to 'em. Popes have blessed businesses (and people and things and homes and pretty much anything else) for ever. Nothing new there, either. Pope Leo gave his blessing, of sorts, to this cocaine-based tonic:

[Image: popeleococaine.jpg]

(06-23-2013, 02:31 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: I really think someone in the Vatican is out to make the Pope look bad (and I can imagine a few reasons why, the first being the Curia reform). I'm not sure how much the Holy Father reads the papers, how he gets his news, etc. I hope he doesn't see the nasty comments he gets on Twitter (nastier than what non-Cats wrote to Papa BXVI!) But I am glad he opts NOT to live @ the apostolic palace (it could show he doesn't trust the Vatican). And I really pray he finds some people in the Vatican he can TRUST that will help him steer the ship right.

The Pope needs to clean house. Too many mixed signals and misquotations, and I'm not believing anything unless I see it with my eyes or read it on vatican.va (and even then, sadly, I'm going to wonder if that's what the Pope really said). 

I just don't see how the Pope blessing people and bikes and a business makes him "look bad." That's one of the many things Popes do -- bless stuff. In fact, my guess is that most people responded favorably to it. As to nasty comments on Twitter, I'm sure he knows the world has no respect for Christ or His Church anymore. But when it comes to blessing Harleys in that regard, he'd be damned if he does (among some trads, anyway), and damned if he doesn't. The Pope can never win. If he'd refused to bless them, then the headlines would read, "Pope Refuses to Bless Bikers," with comments along the lines of how the "'hypocritical, holier-than-thou, 'pedo-Pope who's probably gay (not that there's anything wrong with that for anyone else in the world, of course)'  is too prissy to bless a bunch of people he sees as less-than-good-enough to attend his Masses."

If you want to avoid "mixed signals" and "misquotations," get your news from the Vatican website and skip the secular media. They won't get much of anything right.  Even if they know better they won't.

As for me, I'm glad the Holy Father brought the "Gospel of Life" to bikers and that bikers showed up for it. I pray it does some good. If push ever comes to shove, I want the bikers on OUR side, KWIM?

--- I just wish the Mass had been a TLM.