Priest says we can't kneel down
My parish  priest today after several people had received communion kneeling stated that we are not to receive Holy Communion kneeling down , but only standing. He stated that the bishops have stated that the norm for receiving Holy Communion is standing.

Is there any place that the priest got this from? I don't know any document that has supported his claim.

Other priests have told me that priests should not deny people the right of kneeling to receive.

I don't think it helps the fact that all the altar servers were girls
He got it from the Modern School of Modernism in the city of Modernisia.

I feel for you. I am so sorry. I am so blessed to have at least a NO Mass with COTT kneeling and no altar girl-boys. If nobody comes up with anything I can do research from stuff I have posted before under previous names at other forums.
This entirely incorrect.  You cannot be denied the right to receive Holy Communion while kneeling and on the tongue.  In the past, the GIRM allowed it but had a passage allowing the priest to provide catechesis on the norms for the individual wishing to kneel.  This led to various problems so in the most recent revision of the GIRM, this was removed.  I encourage you to speak privately to your Pastor about this in a polite and respectful manner.  If that does not work, then you should prayerfully consider going to your Bishop.

I know Jimmy Akin is not always a FE favorite, but he does a good job of explaining it here and cites the appropriate passages in the GIRM:  \

Francis Cardinal Arinze discusses it here also:

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal: http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/...an-missal/

Additionally, Redemptionis Sacramentum specifically mentions it (Nr. 91).
Let's be more specific folks. Plain English!

GIRM 160

The norm established for the Dioceses of the United States of America is that Holy Communion is to be received standing, unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling (Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, March 25, 2004, no. 91).

And said document:

In distributing Holy Communion it is to be remembered that “sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who seek them in a reasonable manner, are rightly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them”.[177] Hence any baptized Catholic who is not prevented by law must be admitted to Holy Communion. Therefore, it is not licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful solely on the grounds, for example, that the person wishes to receive the Eucharist kneeling or standing.

Note 177:

Can.  843 §1. Sacred ministers cannot deny the sacraments to those who seek them at appropriate times, are properly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them.

You should write a very polite email to your pastor, or politely present the laws of the Church to him in person. Explain to him your reverence for our Lord, and your sense of unworthiness to receive standing. No need to play sides. People who receive standing are not to be derided. If he is responsive, then work with him. If he is not, find another parish, and pray for the priest and congregation. Finally, he may be worried about practical matters, like internal division, lack of uniformity, and people wondering if they are unworthy, or their method of reception is less because they stand. (Many other rites stand, mind you.) However, the Popes have allowed the two postures, so there is no debate, since the two postures are within the rules, just one is considered less common in the United States. The priest is misinformed, and we should charitably inform him of the truth, and seek an amicable resolution. Bishop Vann will also back you up, no doubt.
For the point of information: http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/...t-mass.cfm  The General Instructions for the Roman Missal (last two paragraphs of the url citation) says
Quote:Finally, with the new General Instruction, we are asked to make a sign of reverence, to be determined by the bishops of each country or region, before receiving Communion standing. The bishops of this country have determined that the sign which we will give before Communion is to be a bow, a gesture through which we express our reverence and give honor to Christ who comes to us as our spiritual food.

In addition to serving as a vehicle for the prayer of beings composed of body and spirit, the postures and gestures in which we engage at Mass have another very important function. The Church sees in these common postures and gestures both a symbol of the unity of those who have come together to worship and a means of fostering that unity. We are not free to change these postures to suit our own individual piety, for the Church makes it clear that our unity of posture and gesture is an expression of our participation in the one Body formed by the baptized with Christ, our head. When we stand, kneel, sit, bow and sign ourselves in common action, we given unambiguous witness that we are indeed the Body of Christ, united in heart, mind and spirit.

I am not "arguing" againist the practice of kneeling, but citing the official document that the priest may be basing his decision on.  It is a bit vague though as the bolded sentence in the first paragraph might be read to mean that "IF" one receives Communion standing they must make a sign of reverence, not that one must receive Communion standing.

As an aside, since the act of reverence before receiving Communion was introduced (mandated as a bow in the U.S.) I observe that a not insigficant minority genuflect before approaching the Communion station.  I do this sometimes if I can do so without holding up the line.  Another interesting observation is that, as I understand it, while the posture of kneeling during the entire Eucharistic Prayer (end of Sanctus through the conclusion of the minor elevation and Great Amen) is to be observed in every diocese in the U.S., individual bishops determine the posture during the Communion period of the Mass.  In my diocese (Spokane, WA) we use to kneel after the Peace, and except for sitting to allow people to leave the pew for Communion, or going to Communion oneself, remained kneeling until the ciborium was reposed in the tabernacle.  A number of years ago the now former bishop directed that the congregation remain standing from the end of the Great Amen until the ciborium was reposed, at which time they could sit for meditation, unless the priest immediately began the Post Communion prayer, for which they stand.  The people "took to" about half of the directive  :grin:.  People do remain standing during the priest's communion and the Ecce Agns Dei... (a very few may kneel, usually those visiting from another diocese where that is the custom) but the majority kneel as soon as they or their pew returns from Communion, and remain kneeling until the ciborium is reposed.  Some will remain kneeling until the Post Communion prayer.  A former pastor once tried to, in a gentle good natured way I must say, get people to abide by the diocesan protocal but gave up.

I personally would prefer to receive kneeling at an altar rail (I always receive on the tongue, I usually receive from the chalice also).  I also have had the opportunity to attend Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgies where one receives both species standing (after a profound bow) by intinction from a spoon and then generally remains standing until the priest blesses the congregation with the chalice and takes it back through the Royal Door of the iconostasis.  While I have my personal preference (not currently available except on rare visits to the FSSP parish in Seattle) the praxis of receiving standing is also of ancient and venerable tradition, and understanding that "I cope".  The more important elements seem to me (and just speaking for myself) to have made a good preparation, to make a profound sign of reverance toward the ciborium and chalice, to make a good postcommunion act of thanksgiving kneeling in the pew.

So even though it IS acceptable you have to PROVE it and make them all angry in the process, while at the same time being quietly labeled as a troublemaker.

It's just sad.
(06-15-2013, 03:48 PM)Ursus Wrote: So even though it IS acceptable you have to PROVE it and make them all angry in the process, while at the same time being quietly labeled as a troublemaker.

It's just sad.

Yes it's sad, but to NOT speak up on this issue is a slap to the face and memory of every single martyr who has died for the Faith.
Actually this was updated recently by the USCCB

Source
http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/apr...kneel-now/

"No. 160 of the GIRM states clearly there that the “norm” established for the United States for reception of Holy Communion is standing. In the 2003 GIRM, it stated that no one should be refused Communion if they kneel, but that afterward they should be properly catechized. In the current edition, the exhortation to catechesis is removed and the exception to the norm of standing is left to the discretion of the faithful: “unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling.” The Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, no. 91, is then cited."
The Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments has already responded to questions on the topic.  They concluded:

Quote:Prot. n. 47/03/L

Rome, February 26, 2003

This Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has received your letter dated December 1, 2002, related to the application of the norms approved by the Conference of Bishops of the United States of America, with the subsequent recognitio of this Congregation, as regards the question of the posture for receiving Holy Communion.

As the authority by virtue of whose recognitio the norm in question has attained the force of law, this Dicastery is competent to specify the manner in which the norm is to be understood for the sake of a proper application. Having received more than a few letters regarding this matter from different locations in the United States of America, the Congregation wishes to ensure that its position on the matter is clear.

To this end, it is perhaps useful to respond to your inquiry by repeating the content of a letter that the Congregation recently addressed to a Bishop in the United States of America from whose Diocese a number of pertinent letters had been received. The letter states: "...while this Congregation gave the recognitio to the norm desired by the Bishops' Conference of your country that people stand for Holy Communion, this was done on the condition that communicants who choose to kneel are not to be denied Holy Communion on these grounds. Indeed, the faithful should not be imposed upon nor accused of disobedience and of acting illicitly when they kneel to receive Holy Communion".

This Dicastery hopes that the citation given here will provide an adequate answer to your letter. At the same time, please be assured that the Congregation remains ready to be of assistance if you should need to contact it again.

With every prayerful good wish, I am

Sincerely yours in Christ,
[signed]
Mons. Mario Marini
Undersecretary

No one can ever be forced to receive Communion while standing, according to the Holy See.  Standing is outside of the universal norm, and is to be treated as such.