Priest says we can't kneel down
(06-15-2013, 05:10 PM)Whitey Wrote:
(06-15-2013, 03:48 PM)Ursus Wrote: So even though it IS acceptable you have to PROVE it and make them all angry in the process, while at the same time being quietly labeled as a troublemaker.

It's just sad.

Yes it's sad, but to NOT speak up on this issue is a slap to the face and memory of every single martyr who has died for the Faith.

The martyrs did not die for us to receive communion kneeling, they died for love of Christ. If you feel that receiving in that way suits you, that's all well and good but that's all it is. Acknowledging the Real Presence doesn't mean we must kneel as though people who receive on the tongue (or reverently in the hand) while standing are committing some kind of atrocity.
Thanks for all your replies. I will try to talk to the priest as soon as possible. I do ask that you may give a short prayer as I tend to get nervous when it comes to these things.

Hopefully the priest sees that the church allows for both forms, and hopefully he allows his parishioners to receive in both forms
(06-15-2013, 02:27 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Let's be more specific folks. Plain English!

GIRM 160

The norm established for the Dioceses of the United States of America is that Holy Communion is to be received standing, unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling (Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, March 25, 2004, no. 91).

And said document:

In distributing Holy Communion it is to be remembered that “sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who seek them in a reasonable manner, are rightly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them”.[177] Hence any baptized Catholic who is not prevented by law must be admitted to Holy Communion. Therefore, it is not licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful solely on the grounds, for example, that the person wishes to receive the Eucharist kneeling or standing.

Note 177:

Can.  843 §1. Sacred ministers cannot deny the sacraments to those who seek them at appropriate times, are properly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them.

You should write a very polite email to your pastor, or politely present the laws of the Church to him in person. Explain to him your reverence for our Lord, and your sense of unworthiness to receive standing. No need to play sides. People who receive standing are not to be derided. If he is responsive, then work with him. If he is not, find another parish, and pray for the priest and congregation. Finally, he may be worried about practical matters, like internal division, lack of uniformity, and people wondering if they are unworthy, or their method of reception is less because they stand. (Many other rites stand, mind you.) However, the Popes have allowed the two postures, so there is no debate, since the two postures are within the rules, just one is considered less common in the United States. The priest is misinformed, and we should charitably inform him of the truth, and seek an amicable resolution. Bishop Vann will also back you up, no doubt.

Thanks Scriptorium for your insightful reply

I was thinking about doing the above of sending an email or just visiting with him in person.

The priest used the excuse of the fact that people do different things regarding the culture. He said that people in Rome during the consecration stand when the consecration is going on, while in the United States people kneel during the consecration.

Similarly he said that for the above reason, the bishops in union with each other in the United States have told us to receive communion while standing. He said that we should all stand when receiving Holy Communion so that we can be uniformed with each other.

I understand his wanting for his parish to be uniformed, but I still think that kneeling should be an option. Many priests themselves have never told me that bishops have said that we all are to stand.

if all else falls I think I will contact Bishop Vann. As far as I know he is pretty conservative
(06-15-2013, 07:09 PM)loggats Wrote: . If you feel that receiving in that way suits you, that's all well and good but that's all it is. Acknowledging the Real Presence doesn't mean we must kneel as though people who receive on the tongue (or reverently in the hand) while standing are committing some kind of atrocity.

Reverently in the hand? No such thing.

Receiving in the hand and standing is a Protestant innovation now in Catholic Churches thanks to the devils influence. How can you defend the sacrilege committed daily by people receiving on the hand? It's just impossible.

[video=youtube]YVjVNb4bSnU[/video]

[video=youtube]BiUqDa_Gzj0[/video]

[video=youtube]Jii6NCfTW68[/video]

[video=youtube]aXzsyuytMlQ[/video]
(06-16-2013, 02:54 AM)Felix E Wrote:
(06-15-2013, 07:09 PM)loggats Wrote: . If you feel that receiving in that way suits you, that's all well and good but that's all it is. Acknowledging the Real Presence doesn't mean we must kneel as though people who receive on the tongue (or reverently in the hand) while standing are committing some kind of atrocity.

Reverently in the hand? No such thing.

Receiving in the hand and standing is a Protestant innovation now in Catholic Churches thanks to the devils influence. How can you defend the sacrilege committed daily by people receiving on the hand? It's just impossible.

Thank you, Felix!
Every priest in every traditional Mass receives reverently "in the hand". So there is such a thing.
(06-16-2013, 08:58 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: Every priest in every traditional Mass receives reverently "in the hand". So there is such a thing.

??? We must go to different traditional Masses.
In our local campus parish which was the most "liberal" parish (would host heretical speakers, etc) until the present pastor came, there will be the TLM starting next week. They also offer a Byzantine Rite Mass.  A number of the "liberal" element actually went into formal schism because if they could not have a church to their own image and likeness, they would take their money and presence and leave. They are currently, with ex-priests, having services in the "inclusive" episcopal church with its lesbian pastor. Good riddance but still sad for their souls.

Anyway, the pastor has had much opposition as you can imagine, this is how he has approached the Communion in the hand issue:  There is a kneeler and so people have the choice of standing in front of the kneeler or kneeling on it. I kneel on it, naturally.  This has been the approach for some time now so is no longer commented on. It is no longer a strange and "pre-Vatican II" thing as folks are used to having the option now.  And we shall see what the next step will be.

I might add that Father brought in pews where there had been chairs.  He brought in statues of Our Lady and of the Sacred Heart and also Stations of the Cross.  He replaced the strange looking "altar" with a real one.  He has had opposition every step of the way but now the multipurpose room looks like a church. Oh, there is now a real tabernacle and it is front and center and not off on a side wall.
Why did we ever start receiving in the hand  ???

My mom says that it was for germ related issues, but my question is if that is the case, then why do they let us receive the precious blood from the cup ???
(06-16-2013, 12:48 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: Why did we ever start receiving in the hand  ???

My mom says that it was for germ related issues, but my question is if that is the case, then why do they let us receive the precious blood from the cup ???

Look for 'On Communion in the Hand and Similar Frauds' by Michael Davies. His 'Communion Under Both Kinds: An Ecumenical Surrender' is also good.