The Book of common prayers
Agree, the KJV is a beautiful translation in terms if how the words flow. I even bought a pocket KJV NT from the dollar store that i find myself using more than any of my other Bibles and I have several, including the Douay, the Confrafernity version, the RSVCE and the NKJV.
Quote:I am a Cradle Catholic as well but I have to give merit to the King James beauty that is contained in it. Is there a place to buy one with the deuterocanonical books online?
Why, yes there is! And it is a) high-quality, b) exquisitely beautiful, and c) quite inexpensive. http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Leather-Edition/dp/1565638085/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372351501&sr=8-3&keywords=1611+king+james+bible This is a facsimile of the original; the sole concession to modernity is a Roman typeface instead of the staggeringly-beautiful-but-almost-unreadable Gothic type.
This seems to be the best place to post this question. There is a church in Los Angeles, that is "High Catholic Anglican." I visited one day and was interested in attending Mass and then time ran out and I didn't go - also, I wasn't quite sure about the validity. I spoke to the Secretary of the parish, and she assured me they are in full communion with Rome and believe in Transubstantiation. They have a nice website: http://stmaryoftheangels.org/

When we visited England, almost all of the Anglican Churches assured us they were fully in line with Roman Catholicism, but they were not - so I am suspicious. This particular Church in Los Angeles is absolutely beautiful, reverent, sober, etc., and I would like to experience a Mass there because it seems to be able to offer something we can't find anywhere else.

Can anybody here shed a little light on this and perhaps educate me? I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, and I do indeed assure you that I have read the website thoroughly and I even called them. They are not listed in the Archdiocese' Directory, but that really doesn't mean much for a city of this size that ordained only TWO priests this year.

PAX
(06-27-2013, 03:19 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: This seems to be the best place to post this question. There is a church in Los Angeles, that is "High Catholic Anglican." I visited one day and was interested in attending Mass and then time ran out and I didn't go - also, I wasn't quite sure about the validity. I spoke to the Secretary of the parish, and she assured me they are in full communion with Rome and believe in Transubstantiation. They have a nice website: http://stmaryoftheangels.org/

When we visited England, almost all of the Anglican Churches assured us they were fully in line with Roman Catholicism, but they were not - so I am suspicious. This particular Church in Los Angeles is absolutely beautiful, reverent, sober, etc., and I would like to experience a Mass there because it seems to be able to offer something we can't find anywhere else.

Can anybody here shed a little light on this and perhaps educate me? I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, and I do indeed assure you that I have read the website thoroughly and I even called them. They are not listed in the Archdiocese' Directory, but that really doesn't mean much for a city of this size that ordained only TWO priests this year.

PAX

Since they call themselves 'St Mary' of the Angels Anglican Church', I would say to stay away from them. They sound like they are part of the 'Continuing Anglican' movement, groups that have left the Episcopal Church because of the homosexual priests/bishops controversy but have not yet come Home to Rome. If they were, indeed, a Catholic Church, I would expect to see the word Catholic somewhere in their name or at least 'Anglican Use' which is the proper name for Catholic Churches that came out of Anglicanism.

And despite the size of the Archdiocese, I seriously doubt that they just forgot to list one of their parishes. :)
(06-27-2013, 03:56 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 03:19 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: This seems to be the best place to post this question. There is a church in Los Angeles, that is "High Catholic Anglican." I visited one day and was interested in attending Mass and then time ran out and I didn't go - also, I wasn't quite sure about the validity. I spoke to the Secretary of the parish, and she assured me they are in full communion with Rome and believe in Transubstantiation. They have a nice website: http://stmaryoftheangels.org/

PAX

Since they call themselves 'St Mary' of the Angels Anglican Church', I would say to stay away from them. They sound like they are part of the 'Continuing Anglican' movement, groups that have left the Episcopal Church because of the homosexual priests/bishops controversy but have not yet come Home to Rome. If they were, indeed, a Catholic Church, I would expect to see the word Catholic somewhere in their name or at least 'Anglican Use' which is the proper name for Catholic Churches that came out of Anglicanism.

And despite the size of the Archdiocese, I seriously doubt that they just forgot to list one of their parishes. :)

***ETA*** Reading through their website, I find this, 'The Book of Common Prayer, in its Catechism says that the Church is “the body of which Jesus Christ is the Head and all baptized People are the members.' I doubt any Catholic Church would be quoting from the heretical BCP Catechism. For instance the only mention of the Sacraments in the document says this:

1928 BCP Catechism Wrote:Question. How many Sacraments hath Christ ordained in his Church?
    Answer. Two only, as generally necessary to salvation; that is to say, Baptism, and the Supper of the Lord.
(06-27-2013, 03:56 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

PAX

They sound like they are part of the 'Continuing Anglican' movement, groups that have left the Episcopal Church because of the homosexual priests/bishops controversy but have not yet come Home to Rome. 

If that's the criteria for their decision, then based on what's going on as of late, I think they'll find swimming the Tiber to be difficult, I'm sad to say....