Does the Catholic Church say people are "born" with same-sex attraction?
Doesn't matter much either way; any kind of deeply ingrained temptation to act contrary to nature is the same, doesn't matter if it is homosexuality, alcoholism, gluttony or what have you.  We are called to resist temptation.
SSA (even apart from homosexual behavior) is (no matter what its cause) abnormal, a disorder.  It is not just a normal tendency that happens to sometimes lead to immoral behavior.  Even if someone might be "born with it" society should treat it as something for which help is needed. It does not matter if some with SSA seem happy and well-adjusted.  Reason says the desire is unnatural, whether there is moral blame or not. It may not be sin, but it is not good.

I'm not saying that "brotherly love" between men (hugging and perhaps kissing in some cultures) is a disorder.
I'm talking about sexual desire - even if the men do not engage in sex.
(06-17-2013, 06:31 PM)Doce Me Wrote: SSA (even apart from homosexual behavior) is (no matter what its cause) abnormal, a disorder.  It is not just a normal tendency that happens to sometimes lead to immoral behavior.  Even if someone might be "born with it" society should treat it as something for which help is needed. It does not matter if some with SSA seem happy and well-adjusted.  Reason says the desire is unnatural, whether there is moral blame or not. It may not be sin, but it is not good.

I'm not saying that "brotherly love" between men (hugging and perhaps kissing in some cultures) is a disorder.

Absolutely; but so is the overpowering desire to ingest poison to the point of blacking out.  Both are unnatural.
(06-17-2013, 06:34 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 06:31 PM)Doce Me Wrote: SSA (even apart from homosexual behavior) is (no matter what its cause) abnormal, a disorder.  It is not just a normal tendency that happens to sometimes lead to immoral behavior.  Even if someone might be "born with it" society should treat it as something for which help is needed. It does not matter if some with SSA seem happy and well-adjusted.  Reason says the desire is unnatural, whether there is moral blame or not. It may not be sin, but it is not good.

Absolutely; but so is the overpowering desire to ingest poison to the point of blacking out.  Both are unnatural.

Of course.  I wasn't saying that SSA was the only kind of unnatural desire, just one that many refuse to recognize as such. (I think we agree)
(06-17-2013, 09:33 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 06:34 PM)Parmandur Wrote:

Of course.  I wasn't saying that SSA was the only kind of unnatural desire, just one that many refuse to recognize as such. (I think we agree)

Indeed.
Once upon a time, Newsweek said people are born gay.  And ever since, people have believed it with all their might. 

The end.
I don't find it implausible.

But then again, I don't find it implausible that some are predisposed to find animals attractive either (though the thought  = :puke: )
Objective answer to thread question, as worded.

No, the Catholic Church does not "say" that. 

Regardless, it seems that dozens of people -- or the same person, dozens of times  :LOL:-- keeps asking that same question over and over on the internet, possibly with the hope that eventually a different answer will appear.  :crazy:

I don't know about this OP, but I have seen the identical question asked on another certain unnamed forum.

If the world wasn't so sex saturated, the pressure to assume SSA is innate would not be so strong, but because it is thought impossible to live a chaste and happy single life, people with SSA think that it must be biologically driven and therefore OK to act on.

When the Church dropped the fight for purity, all kinds of other problems were created, and this is one of them.
SSA ultimately comes from the Devil. That's why priests are supposed to be heterosexual.