Does the Catholic Church say people are "born" with same-sex attraction?
So long as a prospective priest fully understands what celibacy and the priesthood means, and longs to live such a life faithfully himself, I don't see why his sexual orientation should matter much.
(06-27-2013, 12:41 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote: So long as a prospective priest fully understands what celibacy and the priesthood means, and longs to live such a life faithfully himself, I don't see why his sexual orientation should matter much.

People with deep seated homosexual tendencies should not be Priests. That's a bare minimum that the Church requires. What counts as deep seated is probably up for grabs.

People even without deep seated homosexual tendencies but tendencies none the less (like any kind of SSA) in my opinion should also not be Priests... but yeah just my opinion.
I know that once upon a time, Newsweek came out with an article in the 1990s claiming that being gay was a genetic thang, and that the world has believed it ever since. 

I'm sure folks in the Vatican believe it, too. 

But the Church says nothing about biological tenancies of men enjoying to have sex with other men.  Or women also genetically predisposed to being pleasured into orgasm by other women.
Quote:People with deep seated homosexual tendencies should not be Priests. That's a bare minimum that the Church requires.
I am not calling Rome's decision into question: I am merely wondering why they have made such a decision.

And if no one is 'genetically determined' to have SSA, can we say we are genetically 'determined' to be heterosexual?