SSPX youth
Does anyone know if a significant numer of youth from SSPX schools/families end up leaving the Faith? I hear conflicting reports from it being rare, common but a minority, to the majority being just as worldly as secular young people.

Could anyone shed some light on this by sharing their own experiences?
Do you mean like the 77 million + or - in the US who thumb their collective noses at the teaching of the Catholic Church?
(06-18-2013, 09:19 AM)OldMan Wrote: Do you mean like the 77 million + or - in the US who thumb their collective noses at the teaching of the Catholic Church?

I assume that would be a yes.
Having been around for more than a little while, I can say with some competence that there is probably a minority of young Catholics who are (were raised) attached to the pre-Vatican II liturgy etc. that cease to be practicing Catholics. There are any number of reasons from simple rebellion to taking the easier path. Face it, for the most part many kids are followers and not leaders. They don't want to stand out as being different and so they compromise with the world. Some find their way back to the Church when it's time to marry and raise a family. Some wallow in worldliness for decades. Some never return. This is not new and the problem doesn't only manifest itself within the ranks of the SSPX. Every flavor of trad has to deal with this issue. The old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." really applies here. The world is a terrible magnet... God save our children and bless them with fortitude.
I can't imagine the demographics here being worse than the number of children leaving the Church with parents not being involved in the SSPX, and I would be surprised if they are not actually doing better, though I have no data to support that speculation.  I would guess it has a good deal to do with the normal things we see in kids, plus taking into consideration why their parents are raising them in an SSPX chapel to begin with.  If the parents have an axe to grind or are there from a spirit of disobedience I would expect to see differences in how the kids view the Faith compared to parents who are there because the love the tradition and want their kids to be raised in a positive environment when it comes to the Faith.
well from what i have seen, the youth at the SSPX parish which I attend are extremely sheltered, naive and tend to be brought up in very safe, cpmfortable, middle class environments. This leads to them being very unprepared for the real world, and often becoming sideswiped by things they never saw coming. The environments they are raised in also causes them to be completely unaware of some of the potential negative outcomes of some of their choices when the world ensnares them.
Parents who don't even understand what weed is can't protect their kids from it. And I've never met a Trad parent who had the slightest concept about the real drugs kids are using these days - mushrooms, meth, mescaline for example are very easy to get and inexpensive.
I have a friend who is a cradle Trad who has made it through a meth addiction. Good on him, lets all pray he stays clean!

Most Trad kids I know tend to keep the Faith. Its just tjat the ones who don't tend to fall really hard. Like dipping a toe into some water. Only they have no awareness of the gators in the water waiting to drag them to the muurky depths. Sometimes a toe is all the gator needs.
I have not noticed that level of ignorance to the world in with the adult trads I know.  A good number, came from VERY worldly backgrounds.  Gleaning that information from most of them can take some work, but its not as uncommon as you think.  You aren't the only trad in the world who knows who slipknot is, sorry.

Also, there are trad parents on this forum who are former/current cops, so you while you may not have met a drug informed trad parent, at least now you've heard of one (me).
Most of the SSPX youth I know, including my own here at home, have a good handle on what the world is like. There are extremes in both directions of course.

Most are also, at least in my parish, staying and marrying in the faith as young adults. Maybe it's a phenomenon in this generation. I don't know. They certainly aren't falling away in large numbers. A few here or there is all.

As for sheltered, my blue ribbon goes to the Protestant families I know, many of which are home schooled. They are far more sheltered than any of the trad Catholic youth I know.
(06-18-2013, 07:04 PM)HotRod Wrote: I have not noticed that level of ignorance to the world in with the adult trads I know.  A good number, came from VERY worldly backgrounds.  Gleaning that information from most of them can take some work, but its not as uncommon as you think.  You aren't the only trad in the world who knows who slipknot is, sorry.

Also, there are trad parents on this forum who are former/current cops, so you while you may not have met a drug informed trad parent, at least now you've heard of one (me).

Your response seems designed to come across as smug an insulting. Did I misread that or is that your intention?
If you reyread my post you will see I am referring to cradle Trads, fopr a start, and also cleay stated I am drawing only from my own experiences with them.
I am a Trad who comes from a very worldly background myself. I still ride in the Toy Run every year - as LEO you will no doubt know which Club we're associated with. And even then, having been born and raised with those guys I can tell you there is nothing wrong with those guys. Your name is HotRod but do you like bikes? support your local red and white, friend :)
The slipknot comment I guess is based on my sig. That sig n tagline refers to the specific lyrics of the song.

I am glad you are informed and aware - we need more parents like you! There are none in my parish, which is what I refer to.
I know some SSPX parishes have a lot of ppl with interesting backgrounds, eg. in the main centre in India there were (when I visited) a number of ex Tamil Tigers. those guys have some intense histories.

I sincerely hope you are helping to keep other parents informed and aware and will offer prayers for your goals in doing this.
Not insulting, at least on purpose, and if it seemed that way, I apologize.  Perhaps smug, its a character flaw  :grin:.  Maybe things would be different if I were in an SSPX area, but I was just commenting that there is not a high degree of naivete among the circles I frequent.  I have noticed though, many would rather have everyone believe they are naive, than to know the true story of the journey through life, and all the ugly sins in their closets.

The slipknot thumbnail in that video does make me doubletake every time I see it.  Even when I listened to a lot of metal, I never did like slipknot.

Not so much into bikes, I was/am into engine building and drag racing.  I have not been into is as much these past years, but I am still driving the 500 HP 1991 Chevy Pickup I put together 5 years ago. 

As for worldliness, there is a definite tendency I've noticed among the men here to see who can be the most worldly, and still be a practicing trad catholic.  I can easily find myself being drawn into this stupid "competition".  Its part of why I stopped posting so much here.