Mother driving me batty! re: Adam & Eve
What I think is that you need to learn to agree to disagree with your mother. Love her. Pray for her. But then just accept the fact that the two of you just aren't going to be in agreement. If you don't learn to do this you will have a lifetime of unnecessary misery. Conversion is brought about by holiness of life not by having a debate. What is you prayer life like? What is your charity towards others in general like? 
I generally keep my opinions to myself. I prayer the rosary daily and I wear the brown scapular. I read the bible almost every night. As for my mother, it just seems like she's getting VERY stubborn as the years go on. I noticed that she refuses to be wrong with almost EVERYTHING in the last few years. She seems to talk in circles and dismisses nearly everything that doesn't fit in with her own mindset.

And I agree...it doesn't make sense that Adam & Eve would be punished for listening to GOD. I even brought that up to her but she is absolutely positive that they were never ever meant to have sex.

What I end up doing now is just telling her Goodnight or Goodbye and sign off of facebook or just don't reply to her emails after a certain point.
(06-20-2013, 03:09 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: I generally keep my opinions to myself. I prayer the rosary daily and I wear the brown scapular. I read the bible almost every night. As for my mother, it just seems like she's getting VERY stubborn as the years go on. I noticed that she refuses to be wrong with almost EVERYTHING in the last few years. She seems to talk in circles and dismisses nearly everything that doesn't fit in with her own mindset.

And I agree...it doesn't make sense that Adam & Eve would be punished for listening to GOD. I even brought that up to her but she is absolutely positive that they were never ever meant to have sex.

What I end up doing now is just telling her Goodnight or Goodbye and sign off of facebook or just don't reply to her emails after a certain point.
Love her. Pray for her. Be glad you still have a mother.
When you pray for your mother, ask the Holy spirit to help you find the right words when you speak to her. Believe me, you will. Poche is right-agree to disagree.
Do you ever ask : show me where you read this, Mom? I'm sure that you do- I used to just smile, m-hmm, etc. Patience. Prayer.
I do ask her to show me the passages but she just says that I read everything too literally and that I can't understand metaphors. I seriously have NO idea where she gets this from, haha. I just have to laugh. I seriously can't figure out why she thinks I'm some narrow minded guy. It really all comes down to her to just refusing to be wrong. Example would be today...she tried to convince me that Elizabeth Taylor had violet eyes. I told her nicely that her eyes were actually blue and I tried to explain the science behind it but she immediately disagreed and went out of her way to cite a source that expressed her view. So, I just had to tell her "thanks for the information".

I wish I could get through to her when it comes to Catholicism but I can't even get through to her with physical evidence supporting truth in regards to an eye colour, haha. I often suggest that she speak to a priest but she doesn't want anyone to judge her for her views. Besides, I really don't know if novus ordo priests would spare their time to talk to her or even give her the correct info. I've had some bad experiences myself. One older priest told me that relics were meaningless. That was the one that stuck with me the most. It really saddened me.