Cardinal Dolan makes first visit to NYC mosque
(06-20-2013, 10:29 PM)onosurf Wrote: Can't wait to see how the Pope responds to this!

Wave a Koran under his nose and you'll find out!
Jon's response: chicken nipples.
(06-20-2013, 08:01 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: "You love God, we love God and he is the same God," the cardinal said of the Muslim and Roman Catholic faiths."

I wonder how Al Kresta & Company on EWTN radio are going to minimize the damage they've caused? All last week the main topic at hand was how Muslims do NOT worship the same God as Roman Catholics.
(06-21-2013, 10:17 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 08:01 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: "You love God, we love God and he is the same God," the cardinal said of the Muslim and Roman Catholic faiths."

I wonder how Al Kresta & Company on EWTN radio are going to minimize the damage they've caused? All last week the main topic at hand was how Muslims do NOT worship the same God as Roman Catholics.

These are the moments I live for seeing the self appointed whing nuts squirm.

tim
(06-21-2013, 01:46 PM)Tim Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 10:17 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

These are the moments I live for seeing the self appointed whing nuts squirm.

tim

Me too. he-he-he. We're bad, aren't we Tim?
(06-21-2013, 03:02 AM)Whitey Wrote: They may well worship the same God as we do, but the thing is, the Muslim culture is such that the children are brainwashed in a way. Their prophet is a false prophet and their holy book is not revealed Truth. Like the average mainstream Catholic today. They know no better.

I have long suspected that all religious cultures -- Catholics included -- brainwash their children to believe that their religion is the "one true way". If you believe in your religion, why wouldn't you do that? And why should Muslims be any different in that respect?
(06-21-2013, 02:01 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 03:02 AM)Whitey Wrote: They may well worship the same God as we do, but the thing is, the Muslim culture is such that the children are brainwashed in a way. Their prophet is a false prophet and their holy book is not revealed Truth. Like the average mainstream Catholic today. They know no better.

I have long suspected that all religious cultures -- Catholics included -- brainwash their children to believe that their religion is the "one true way". If you believe in your religion, why wouldn't you do that? And why should Muslims be any different in that respect?

Were you brainwashed or was it simply infused knowledge that led you to the fact that the Catholic Church is the one true Church? BTW it is the duty of the parents to see that their children are brought up in the Faith. Whether or not false religions do the same has noting to do with the duties of Catholics.

"Hast thou children? Instruct them and bow down their neck from their childhood." Ecclus. vii. 25.
(06-21-2013, 02:22 PM)OldMan Wrote:

Were you brainwashed or was it simply infused knowledge that led you to the fact that the Catholic Church is the one true Church? BTW it is the duty of the parents to see that their children are brought up in the Faith. Whether or not false religions do the same has noting to do with the duties of Catholics.

"Hast thou children? Instruct them and bow down their neck from their childhood." Ecclus. vii. 25.

I'm using the word "brainwashing" in a fairly neutral way here. Of course, those within a given religious tradition (whichever one it is) will see it as simply teaching their children the truth. Those outside the tradition will see it as brainwashing. We can claim that the Muslims are brainwashing their children, but they would say the same thing about us. I'm not making any value judgments here, just observing that, from their own viewpoint, Muslims aren't doing anything different with their children than what we do with our children.
(06-21-2013, 02:47 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 02:22 PM)OldMan Wrote:

I'm using the word "brainwashing" in a fairly neutral way here. Of course, those within a given religious tradition (whichever one it is) will see it as simply teaching their children the truth. Those outside the tradition will see it as brainwashing. We can claim that the Muslims are brainwashing their children, but they would say the same thing about us. I'm not making any value judgments here, just observing that, from their own viewpoint, Muslims aren't doing anything different with their children than what we do with our children.

"I have long suspected that all religious cultures -- Catholics included -- brainwash their children ..." didn't sound too neutral, but whatever.
It may be true that Muslims face an analogous challenge that Catholics did, of trying to assimilate while keep their faith, but we should hope that they do lose their "faith" and instead find faith in the true Word incarnate.

CCC 161 Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation.42 "Since "without faith it is impossible to please [God]" and to attain to the fellowship of his sons, therefore without faith no one has ever attained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life 'But he who endures to the end.'"43

(of course, it is better to believe that God exists and is a rewarder of those who seek Him than to be an atheist, since the former is the first step to coming to true faith).