Cardinal Dolan makes first visit to NYC mosque
I am here visiting Cardinal Dolan's archdiocese and had the "pleasure" of reading the Catholic New York paper with an article regarding this visit.  Not only does he state that we worship the same God he also states that the Islamic center is the center of their lives "like our parishes are for so many Catholics".  So.....our parishes are just like Islamic centers. 

I'm not sure how to respond to that because in a sense it is true that, for many Catholics in the US, Catholic parishes are just like Muslim centers!  For many Catholics, there is nothing particularly special about them!  It's a building to worship in, to congregate with others, etc.

Here was an opportunity to evangelize.....that our parishes have something much more than other religious buildings...you know, that minor part of our Faith called the Blessed Sacrament!! But no, don't want to offend!

(07-01-2013, 08:39 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I am here visiting Cardinal Dolan's archdiocese and had the "pleasure" of reading the Catholic New York paper with an article regarding this visit.  Not only does he state that we worship the same God he also states that the Islamic center is the center of their lives "like our parishes are for so many Catholics".  So.....our parishes are just like Islamic centers. 

I'm not sure how to respond to that because in a sense it is true that, for many Catholics in the US, Catholic parishes are just like Muslim centers!  For many Catholics, there is nothing particularly special about them!  It's a building to worship in, to congregate with others, etc.

Here was an opportunity to evangelize.....that our parishes have something much more than other religious buildings...you know, that minor part of our Faith called the Blessed Sacrament!! But no, don't want to offend!

Cardinal Dolan speaks from a naturalism perspective, refuses to speak from the (true) supernatural perspective. It is one thing to say, for example, "As Christians, we believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and from our perspective, He is necessary for salvation." Quite another to say, "Jesus Christ is the Son of God and you must accept Him for the salvation of your souls!." Notice the subtle distinction that changes the whole darn thing. On is, dare I say, cowardly. Through other, bold, courageous and true. How did the apostles speak? How did the Church speak until the "new orientation" took over?
Didn't St. Thomas write that such a thing is an act of apostasy?
The Gang of New York (or, how to sell out the Church)

When he's dollin' out New Doctrine
At the podium on the pedestal
To great heights risen 'bove clouds
Dressed all in red
Are those horns that I see?
Preach it, Cardinal, and loud!

Oh humorless jokes
And portly to boot
Elbows calloused from the elite
Dressed in black with red piping
Are those hooves that saw?
Preach it, Cardinal, preach!

Oh enemies in court
But friends drinking port
And guests at the Smith dinner party
When the Cardinal gets mad
And preaches so bad
It's the wind that shakes me hardly

For I've seen this before
On enemy shores
When commanders do run from the fight
And play politicians
Instead of physicians
Who excise all the evil at night

But what of Apostles, who bothered and jostled
Reverting the world to sin
I remember the phrase, in Acts 5:29
"We'll disobey God to please men"
And when the Flesh became Word
To converse with the world
About how things were all copacetic
I find in the Cardinal, a successor Apostle
Of a Gospel, new, and pathetic
Since we all worship the same God (according to Dolan), does that mean they'll stop beheading, torturing, burning and bombing our Christian brothers and sisters soon?
(07-02-2013, 10:10 AM)lauermar Wrote: Since we all worship the same God (according to Dolan), does that mean they'll stop beheading, torturing, burning and bombing our Christian brothers and sisters soon?

Only if we all start kissing their korans.