Kick Your Sugar Addiction in 9 Simple Steps
(07-01-2013, 07:48 AM)Zedta Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 06:55 AM)Joshua Wrote: What's wrong with canola oil, out of curiosity?  Huh?

Without going into too much detail, do you really want to use a failed, synthetic crankcase oil to cook your foods in?

So Canola oil is not just the oil extracted from the rapeseed?
(07-01-2013, 04:58 PM)Joshua Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 07:48 AM)Zedta Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 06:55 AM)Joshua Wrote: What's wrong with canola oil, out of curiosity?  Huh?

Without going into too much detail, do you really want to use a failed, synthetic crankcase oil to cook your foods in?

So Canola oil is not just the oil extracted from the rapeseed?

The history is interesting and curious. It was originally intended as a replacement for crankcase oil in the late 1940's when the war reduced the amount of available petroleum-based  oil. Rape seed was a weed and had an oily quality. A consortium got together and sold the Canadian Gov't on it being a great source of synthetic motor oil. It was. at best, a mediocre engine oil and it was later looked on as a possible frying oil when the need for synthetic motor oil dropped. However it had two hazardous components to the oil that were poisonous. Some folks had a bunch of money tied up in this plant's production and apparently deep pockets. There was some genetic manipulation and the toxins were reduced to 'tolerable' levels. Then, surprisingly, since the new "Canola" Oil came around with its new name from our buddies in Canada and all, it just sorta slipped into use in the USA and without even a howdy ya do from the FDA. Curiously, the EU must know something we don't, it is outlawed in the EU.

I don't know, what's to love about it with so many much more healthy things to eat?
Zedta Wrote:There was some genetic manipulation and the toxins were reduced to 'tolerable' levels.

I think you're referring to the efforts of the University of Manitoba which was able to naturally breed a species of rapeseed that had significantly less quantities of erucic acid. This acid isn't a toxin, but an omega-9 fatty acid which some claim can lead to heart complications. However, this is currently in dispute. apparently. by Indian researchers who claim that both canola oil and mustard oil (both high in erucic acid and used for millennia in India) have shown no heart-related complications in their population stemming from the use of these oils.

Zedta Wrote:Then, surprisingly, since the new "Canola" Oil came around with its new name from our buddies in Canada and all, it just sorta slipped into use in the USA and without even a howdy ya do from the FDA. Curiously, the EU must know something we don't, it is outlawed in the EU.

Frankly, I couldn't give a flying flip what the EU is doing. Regardless, it would seem the FDA has studied canola oil and has even issued a "qualified health claim" that it might be beneficial in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consumer...072958.htm

I have no problem accepting the fact that it was initially developed for industrial uses. Nearly every kind of naturally occurring oil (corn, peanut, vegetable, etc.) can be used in the production of biodiesel or lubricants. I'm sure there are healthier oils to use out there, but I fail to see why a number of nutritionists single it out as being something to avoid entirely. Shrug
Just in case you might catch this post.  Here's more on Canola Oil and a couple of other things I recently posted: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3459868.new.html#new