The WYD altar that Pope Francis will be using...
(06-23-2013, 12:06 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: WYD glorifies the youth, separates the families. And it's not just WYD, but kids' special "participation" during Mass beyond altar boys, as if children are being celebrated (catered to?) at Mass, instead of being part of the Church worshiping God. My parents didn't let me do that stuff; I won't let my kids do that stuff. I find it mocks God.

The youth are important...  They are our future.  Should we not have catechism classes since they separate children from their families?  My wife and I went to the one in Cologne with Pope Benedict and it was an amazing.  It was there that I found out about Juventutem and my wife started wearing the mantilla.  I wouldn't say that it was about the glorification of youth.  It was about youth glorifying God.
i think the concept in and of itself has the potential to be either very good, or very bad, depneding on how it is done.

that altar actually reminds me more of some hinduist/vedic pagan altars and temples... not sure quite what about it does, but something...
Burn it with holy water.
(06-23-2013, 12:22 AM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 12:06 AM)StCeciliasGirl Wrote: WYD glorifies the youth, separates the families. And it's not just WYD, but kids' special "participation" during Mass beyond altar boys, as if children are being celebrated (catered to?) at Mass, instead of being part of the Church worshiping God. My parents didn't let me do that stuff; I won't let my kids do that stuff. I find it mocks God.

The youth are important...  They are our future.  Should we not have catechism classes since they separate children from their families?  My wife and I went to the one in Cologne with Pope Benedict and it was an amazing.  It was there that I found out about Juventutem and my wife started wearing the mantilla.  I wouldn't say that it was about the glorification of youth.  It was about youth glorifying God.

The youth learn by example as well, though. You grow up thinking you're special and entitled, you'll innovate. (And our local NO parish encourages the kids to innovate).

We just got back from Rome, and traveled with another family who we are acquaintances with (I came back early—got hot and my dad needed me). But while I was there, those children asked things like, why my children used the holy water font (actually, they didn't know what a holy water font was); or why we knelt before the altars; etc. They're not bad kids, and they certainly "do" more things at their parish than my kids do at ours, but they were lost in the sauce.

And it's not a "my kids" versus "their kids" thing: the fourteen or seventeen kids at our parish (we get visitors) are very reverent, know what the sermon is, etc; my kids haven't read the Bible (grrr), but they know the Balt. Catechism, and our former priest worked it out where he or a visiting deacon he trusted would do the teaching, and it's been pretty great. They learn about [the old] Saints, Latin, the old prayers, chant, etc. So my guys aren't up to speed on everything by far, but at least they knew some of the mosaics and paintings, the Popes, the fountains, and statues; they had a CLUE what the Faith was supposed to be about. The other kids were, sadly, clueless. (We're going to gift the family with a book since at least the kids expressed interest in the "strange customs", like using a holy water font and crossing yourself when going in.)

Now, the other family's oldest kid had given "a sermon" during Mass last year (they call it something, where the kids can teach the adults during Mass), no idea what that was about, but they don't have altar rails, and I'm not sure they have what you could identify as a crucifix in their parish. I hope the pilgrimage whetted their appetites for something more than putting on a show for adults. I truly hope it showed them a hint of how God used to be worshiped. (Heh, we're trying to get them into our church :grin: —but their parish is the cathedral and has a billion kids, activities, etc. Hard to compete with.)

But it is precisely for that reason, that the children are our future, that I think WYD should be killed off, and kids should be shown the beauty of being reverent at Mass, know what to do and why they're doing it, and so forth.

To be fair, I've never seen a WYD in person — Mom thought it was  :censored: so that was out ;) I've just seen pictures and some video. I guess I just don't get it. (Fortunately, neither do my kids :thumb: My guys didn't identify WYD as "Catholic", in fact, until they saw a procession of some sort.) Yes, I do fear I'm raising kids that are "medieval thinkers", but I'd rather that than other options.
More waste  of time and money.  WYD is a VAC II joke more have lost their faith because of it.
(06-23-2013, 10:32 AM)JCCMADD Wrote: More waste  of time and money.  WYD is a VAC II joke more have lost their faith because of it.

That's not what I saw at World Youth Day.
(06-22-2013, 10:12 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/06...m-age.html

Masonic, and stronger in the Church than ever....

Looks like an expensive setup.  Methinks they should have just used a simple altar and canopy and donated the money to the poor instead.
How many traditional Catholics will go to WYD and share their traditions? Or stay home and gripe because the architecture is not up to par?
Or not be able to afford tickets and lodging because they're 1 of 10?
"Masonic," no. Ugly, yes. And I suppose that anything which is not beautiful - of God - is in some way of the enemy. But that's a slippery slope ;)