JP II, Novel Teachings quote
I recall reading some time ago that JPII was quoted as saying that VII or the catechism that came from it contained "novel teachings", or novel something. I can't seem to locate it in my computer files. Can anyone cite a source for this and what exactly he said? Thanks!
(06-23-2013, 01:51 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: I recall reading some time ago that JPII was quoted as saying that VII or the catechism that came from it contained "novel teachings", or novel something. I can't seem to locate it in my computer files. Can anyone cite a source for this and what exactly he said? Thanks!
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_p...ei_en.html
What you are looking for is in 5B.
It is also in the book "ABL and the Vatican".
After reading this again, maybe what I posted wasn't what you were looking for?  :Hmm:
That is helpful, but not the one I was thinking of. But I appreciate the link. Thanks!
It should be noted, that "new doctrines" are not necessarily bad.  What is bad is new revealed truths/dogma--truths that are de fide. 

However, the Church also develops from that one deposit other doctrines that are not revealed, but are intimately connected to revelation and the Church even teaches these infallibly.  These are classified as doctrines of ecclesiastical faith or to be definitively held (de fide ecclesiastica definita or sententia definitive tenenda).  In addition, the Church develops and teaches theological conclusions classed as theologically certain (truths logically following revealed and historical propositions) as well as "Catholic doctrine" (doctrines enunciated by the Magisterium, but not as divine revealed or intimately connected to revelation--this term is also used in broad way to refer to anything from this level up to dogma).  All of these are  not part of the original revelation and are therefore new at whatever point in history they are first proposed and the Church has continued over the centuries to do so.

For example, the declaration Dignitiatus Humanae explicitly states that its doctrine is not revealed, but that it is deriving its doctrine from truths that are revealed as well as from reason and historical facts.  As such, it falls within one of these latter categories (rather than being a revealed dogma).  It seems to me from the context, this is the kind of new doctrine the Pope was referencing. 
New teachings are not necessarily bad...unless they contradict what the Church taught before. Like for instance, lets say that churchmen started proclaiming that everyone had a God given right to break the first commandment. Then ya got a problem. That'd never happen of course. Just a hypothetical. ;)
(06-24-2013, 08:51 PM)DustinsDad Wrote: New teachings are not necessarily bad...unless they contradict what the Church taught before. Like for instance, lets say that churchmen started proclaiming that everyone had a God given right to break the first commandment. Then ya got a problem. That'd never happen of course. Just a hypothetical. ;)

They already did. See Dignitatis Humanae.

Accordingly, though everyone is obliged to seek the truth, all human beings who have yet to find it nevertheless retain the right to profess their errors. Thus the document pays lip service to Catholic teaching and passes under the radar of most Catholic thinkers while at the same time promoting a novel error: You're obliged to seek the truth, but you have a right to profess your errors until such a time as you find it.

This is a violation of the 1st Commandment sanctioned by the documents of Vatican II.