Daily Martyrdom
During his June 23 Angelus reflection, Pope Francis said the faithful are called to follow the example of the martyrs in losing their lives for Christ, even if they do not suffer violence for their faith.

“Both in the past and today, in many parts of the world there are martyrs, both men and women, who are imprisoned or killed for the sole reason of being Christian,” he said, noting that there are more martyrs dying violent deaths in modern times than in the early centuries of the Church.

“But there is also the daily martyrdom, which does not result in death but is also a loss of life for Christ.”

This “daily martyrdom” consists of people “doing their duty with love, according to the logic of Jesus,” said the pontiff from the window of the Apostolic Palace to those gathered in St. Peter’s Square.

He delivered his Angelus comments reflecting on the day's Gospel reading, in which Jesus tells his disciples “whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.”

Pope Francis stressed that there are fathers and mothers who put their faith into practice concretely by devoting their lives to the good of their families each day.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/c...says-pope/
The Pope says that we are called to a daily martyrdom even if that does not mean imprisonment or death. What does that mean to you?
(06-24-2013, 03:40 AM)Poche Wrote: The Pope says that we are called to a daily martyrdom even if that does not mean imprisonment or death. What does that mean to you?

Poche, it to me is an echo of the way we approached the Faith when I was young. We were taught to offer up our daily crosses to the Lord and co-operate in our Salvation. All suffering no matter how minimal has merit if in the state of Grace. To be brutally honest the world changed against this as affluence spread in America.
It was much easier to see Jesus when we were the lower middle class and the working poor. It took real effort for a family to say have a First Communion party for their child. It took weeks of saving pennies and planning. These are the reasons, we saw Jesus, though we were sinners just like now. Many mothers pleaded with Jesus to get that "good roast" for that party for all the relatives. When our pockets became very deep,pleading went out of style, we bought the very best.

tim
(06-24-2013, 11:25 AM)Tim Wrote:
(06-24-2013, 03:40 AM)Poche Wrote: The Pope says that we are called to a daily martyrdom even if that does not mean imprisonment or death. What does that mean to you?

[...] We were taught to offer up our daily crosses to the Lord and co-operate in our Salvation. All suffering no matter how minimal has merit if in the state of Grace. [...]

tim

Tim, this is one of my absolute favorite doctrines in our religion. The idea that God allows us, and even wants us to contribute to the salvation of souls. That the smallest action, if offered to God from love, has inestimable value because it is accepted by Christ and united to His sacrifice on the Cross. It's really mind-boggling, to think about it. I think that if we really lived this idea and made it a reality, as St. Therese did, an incredible number of us would eventually be saints.
And as I said above we need to remain small like Our Lady in the Magnificat. Small is the best way forward.

tim