Political theory and Catholic social teaching
(07-04-2013, 12:42 AM)jonbhorton Wrote: One cannot religionize an economic theory, model, system, but moralize it. Economies do not have a religion and are subject only to morals and the morality of their adherents. Certain economic theories are inherently immoral. Capitalism can work, and does, when people engage it morally. Conversely, nothing is a backstop to immorality creeping into a society attempting distributism, yet to be defined as anything other than time-capsule capitalism; nor is its implementation without committing evil to achieve the theoretical good established, nor is there a guarantee that, as reality dictates, certain individuals won't win out in success. Based on what little I can piece together, distributism is nothing more than glass-ceiling capitalism in theory, and never really tried in actuality.

The very notion of everyone having their own thing stabs at the heart of the reason proposed to implement it in the first place! Plumber has own tools (they often do). How do they gain their own tools, but by first being subject to the property of another?

Rerum Novarum can just as easily lend support to Capitalism as implemented by a moral society.

This conversation is useless. Fix the moral problem before fantasizing about economic theories, as an immoral society will fail no matter the economic model in place. This is, of course, impossible. Distributism remains a fantasy. Capitalism remains a fantasy brought to life.

I cannot lend support to the idea akin to let's get married until how we are to pay for the baby is worked out first.

All interesting. I would post some questions to ponder. What is it that prevents or makes extremely difficult the plumber (one who has been at it for years, developed expertise, etc) from running his own business, or being forced to be an employee at Roto-rooter (where he's forced to work on Sunday's, etc.)?
Or I think the question works better perhaps with the pharmacist forced to be an employee at walgreens rather than open his own corner drug store.

And when I say prevented, I don't mean to say its impossible, just that certain systems can work against this and make it darn near impossible for alot of people...in this day, the majority.

Some of those things libertarians and distributists would agree on...overbearing taxes and regulations, etc. Some things distributists would point out the libertarians would attack.

Briefly touching on a few just to throw em out there for consideration....

1.) The "big guy'' has a huge advantage in regards to unlimited ability to advertise (honestly or not), to squash the little guy with economies of scale (if ya have a hundred stores, and little guy opens a corner store, the big guy can easily open a store next door for no there reason than to drive the little guy out of business with the tools at the big guys service).

This is what has happened in this country over and over again. From restaurant's killed by McDonalds, corner drug stores killed by walgreens, hardware stores killed by the big boys, and on and on.

I think laws could be put in place to lessen some of this that absolutely does not mean stealing the big guys property. Libertarians would oppose this in principal, I've heard the arguments. I get it, but am not convinced. The totally free market is not always right and society suffers from it often. I get the logic of the arguments, but in reality, it just plain don't work. The peoples become a nation of wage slaves. Its not good or ideal.

Another thing that I understand "logically'' but despise is the whole credit/interest/usury system as it applies to poor folk. I've despised this since I learned of it as a wee lad. That is that poor folks pay more to borrow money than rich folks. I get it (higher risk and what not), but its still nuts. Poor family gets late on something, okay, now your payments are higher. Yeah...its logical I suppose...and insane.

The whole credit score system in this country is a tool of the elites to keep the masses jumping through the hoops.

That my thoughts here may be influenced by my being a po'folk myself is admitted ;)

That's all. Over and out.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Political theory and Catholic social teaching - by DustinsDad - 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM