The Defense of Marriage Act is ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court
The Court's ruling, issued just minutes ago, is here:  http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12p...7_g2bh.pdf
So.... what does this mean  ??? For us non-Yanks?
It means that the federal government of the United States, in all its laws and regulations, must treat as married those people of the same sex who have married in states that allow it.  That includes, for example, immigration laws and tax laws.
(06-26-2013, 10:22 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: It means that the federal government of the United States, in all its laws and regulations, must treat as married those people of the same sex who have married in states that allow it.  That includes, for example, immigration laws and tax laws.

The march of immorality continues, soon they will outlaw virtue,, just waiting for the direct confrontation with the sodomites...God forgive I hate all of them and what they have done to Church and culture as a whole.....
Note, however, that this does NOT mean that individual states may not limit marriage to the traditional definition in their own laws.
And they said the Prop 8 appeal had no standing, so it's legal in Californication, Whopee ! Now this adds to the problem. Say a pair is married in Sausalito, and move to anywhere USA, when part one dies no matter the state's marriage laws the Federal G'ment pays as if the were married. Te woman that the case for California was brought will now get a refund of $350,000 from the IRS. Thank you Catholic justices.

tim
Can I now say, I told ya'll so?  :LOL:

The Church is going to have to find a way out of this mess that they have created for themselves. Time for the ole Catholic slight of hand policy shift, I bet.
If the Vendee were armed with AK-47's the French Revolution would be a failure of history.

tim
What did you guys expect? Natural law itself is denied in our legal system; there isn't an argument possible allowed us against gay marriage, bestiality, incest or anything else. We lost the culture war a looong time ago. Best thing for us and those like us is to take to heart those scripture passages about "seeking the things that are above" and that "we have here no abiding city" and focus on trying to fortify ourselves and our fellow brothers in Christ in the Faith so that, at the very least, we can "persevere to the end." Honestly folks there is no restoration of the West without a total collapse and a new dark age. We need this culture to fall into ruin so we can build anew but since most of us will never live long enough to see it we can at least try to help our selves and our brothers now and stand as signs of contradiction to our enemies.
The logical outcome of religious liberty. Ironic isn't it?

If society does not acknowledge the true Church, more or less anything goes just as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else.