To go or not to go?
Hello, fellow Fishies :)

I know I've not been around much, but internet time is very sparse these days. As many here might recall, my father passed away this April and my family and I went to NJ for the funeral. We returned to WI a week later, but there is the very real chance we may be going right back to NJ--for good.

For my part, I hope we do. I regret beyond my ability to articulate the choice I made to move out here. I missed the last seven years of my father's life, and the last 6.5 of our dog's, who passed away in September. Only my mother remains, and she's going to be 70 this Christmas Eve. She's got all her ducks in a row and so forth, so she's hardly helpless, but on the other hand, she's going to be 70, and shouldn't be in a house all by herself. Her son, that being me, does have a familial obligation to help, if he can--and he can, he thinks. My uncle has offered me my old job back at the machine shop if we move, the house is mortgage-free, and the only school that offers mortuary science in NJ is only 20 minutes away, so my wife can finish her coursework. So the pluses are there (and there are certainly more).

Of course, the drawbacks are mainly that my wife's friends are all out here, and her social activities. I know she won't (yet) have anything of the sort if we move, and she's not yet developed the strength to not be cranky and bored if she doesn't have any socializing to do. On the other hand, I can't help but acknowledge that while I'm asking a lot of her, there is someone out there who needs us, and deserves to see her grandson more than once every few years.

There is another reason to move--I can more easily ascertain a Catholic education for my son. Out here, in Lutheran la-la-land where I'm the only practicing Catholic I can think of as I type this, I know I will have a very uphill struggle (to say the least); as many here may remember, my wife was born and raised Lutheran, converted to the Faith but fell away almost immediately, and remains a confused liberal heretic who doesn't really know what she really believes other than that she likes this Jesus fellow and the idea of Him being her Savior. No one here with whom we associate would stand with me and say that the Catholic Church is God's one, true church, and my son must have a Catholic education, as is my obligation--and still hers as well, since we both had him baptized in the Church. If we move, we'll be surrounded by Catholics of various levels of devotion, few (if any) of whom would object or would expect anything other than a Catholic education for my boy. If we stay, the pressure to expose him to heresies, or out and out irreligion courtesy of many of my wife's crazy friends, would be indescribable. That alone makes me want to pack our bags yesterday.

So, I need prayers. I need to know what God's will is in this and that He may enlighten and move all parties involved in this to see His will done. I can see that that may already be happening, but I'll only know for sure when I park the car in Trenton. Any and all prayers are appreciated more than I can say! :pray:
:pray2:
:pray:
Welcome to New Jersey!  I'm not sure what part you're moving to, but at least the area where I live (Essex County) is NOT a bastion of Catholicism.  There are some Catholic schools that still adhere to the faith, but many are lukewarm.  but some people are lucky and live close to traditional schools.
:pray:
Thank you for the prayers, everyone! Keep 'em coming; as I type, my wife is off talking with a career counselor. She's probably done now, but I can still hope that it was about transferring credits and so forth...

(06-28-2013, 02:00 AM)JubilateDeo83 Wrote: Welcome to New Jersey!  I'm not sure what part you're moving to, but at least the area where I live (Essex County) is NOT a bastion of Catholicism.  There are some Catholic schools that still adhere to the faith, but many are lukewarm.  but some people are lucky and live close to traditional schools.

Well, hopefully it will be welcome back; third time's the charm, right?

Not sure I've even been to Essex county, and I used to drive all over the state. Ah, the good old days. We'll be moving back to Trenton, to my childhood home; sadly, the parochial school at St. Hedwig had shut down years ago, but the church is still going strong--Novus Ordo only, though. I might try my hand at getting the TLM there, depending on how everything else goes, and there a diocesan TLM in Hamilton, I think.
:pray2: