HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT
HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT (ALSO FOR ANTS & FLEAS)
(And free from chemicals that poison the body)

Ingredients:

1/2 litre of alcohol
100 gram of whole cloves
100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
Stir every morning and evening
After 4 days add the oil
It's now ready to use.

How to use:

Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.
Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room.
Repels fleas on pets too.
"Alcohol"...rubbing alcohol, right? What does the oil do? Is it needed because the alcohol evaporates so quickly? And do you have to put it all over your skin, like regular repellant, or do you apply it more sparingly, like perfume?  Dunce This sort of thing fascinates me, but as you can see I have no experience with it whatsoever.
(06-30-2013, 09:39 PM)Deidre Wrote: "Alcohol"...rubbing alcohol, right? What does the oil do? Is it needed because the alcohol evaporates so quickly? And do you have to put it all over your skin, like regular repellant, or do you apply it more sparingly, like perfume?  Dunce This sort of thing fascinates me, but as you can see I have no experience with it whatsoever.

Dittos!

If it is any good, I'd like to try it out and living where I do (on a small, slow river in North Florida) at this time of the year, it will get a thorough testing, so I'd like to do it up right.
Yes rubbing alcohol - though there's nothing to stop you using vodka! With the oil, you could also use peppermint oil since that's particularly effective against mosquitoes and other pests - it's distasteful and confusing to them.
If beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy (Franklin), skeeters are evidence we must also suffer.

Supposedly the Delaware Indians' story of creation includes the bit that the bad spirit tried to mimic creation and could only come up with flying pests--skeeters, gnats, flies--which corresponds to the title Beelzebub, meaning Lord of the Flies.

If, then, we imbibe Franklin's version of God's love, we shall still suffer the effects of Beelzebub's inventions but not care. If we do so smelling like cloves or peppermint, we see both liquid fortitude and temporal aids in resisting the sting of the bugs of the pit.

Neat recipe.