Anti-blasphemy laws enacted in Russia.
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=18312

A tough new anti-blasphemy law that takes effect in Russia on July 1 allows for fines up to 300,000 rubles ($9,000) and imprisonment for up to 2 years for public acts that “manifest patent disrespect for society and are committed with the aim of offense to the religious feelings of believers.” The penalties for offenses are increased if the acts take place in houses of worship.

Human-rights activists have expressed concern about the new law, seeing potential for abuses, including the use of secular courts to resolve religious disputes. But Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the chief public-affairs official of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Moscow, welcomed the legislation and suggested that the penalties may be “too mild.”

Do they mean by "believers" Orthodox or every religion under the sun? Just curious...
http://rt.com/politics/responsibility-in...evers-526/
http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Criticise...28345.html

Not sure. Here are a couple of other articles which might provide greater detail. 
All well and good, I suppose; but when are they going to do something about Russian abortion? The Russians make Pelosi look like a Catholic, for crying out loud.
All the same, Russia seems morally on the way up, and America IS morally on the way down. I think we need to bash Pelosi and Obama more than Putin for now.
Why, because Putin wants to make the Orthodox Church a puppet of the Russian State? The East has interminably been held captive by emperors and the secular authorities. The West too, until recently. As late as the 20th Century, a European kingdom vetoed the election of the Pope, for  crying out loud! 

Putin is no fool; he realizes that the Russians are a religious people, and also realizes that religion is an excellent controlling mechanism, especially when controlled by the State.

maldon Wrote:All the same, Russia seems morally on the way up
A country where incest and beastiality are legal? Where abortion is used like birth control? Give me a break.

(07-02-2013, 02:41 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote: Why, because Putin wants to make the Orthodox Church a puppet of the Russian State? The East has interminably been held captive by emperors and the secular authorities. The West too, until recently. As late as the 20th Century, a European kingdom vetoed the election of the Pope, for  crying out loud! 

Putin is no fool; he realizes that the Russians are a religious people, and also realizes that religion is an excellent controlling mechanism, especially when controlled by the State.

maldon Wrote:All the same, Russia seems morally on the way up
A country where incest and beastiality are legal? Where abortion is used like birth control? Give me a break.

Agreed.  Russia has a history of using the Church to help control the state.  In addition, Putin is smart enough to recognize the relationship between morality and the strength of society.