Last miracle needed to confirm Blessed John Paul 2 as Saint
No, Scrip, it's not  competition. Like those of the so called "JP II generation", Fr. Neuhaus coined this term, I grew up under Pope Pius XII. We had a picture of him opposite Sister Superior's office on the first floor. We had to line up single file to go to the lavatory. It seemed the eyes in the picture would follow us and look through us. There was something very other worldly about that picture and all of us kids agreed he could see us. I believe he was a Saint when he was alive. You had to be there to get the post war child's mind. We kids thought our fathers had beaten back Satan, in the person of Hitler, and this Pope being the Peter knew all about that.

tim
(07-02-2013, 10:07 PM)2Vermont Wrote: I never quite got the fast track idea.  Was there ever such a fast track pre-Vatican II?  It doesn't seem "right" to me that there are numerous "blesseds" for over a hundred years with no canonization in sight.  What is holding those up?

Saints have been canonized at various times after their death.  There is no rule that has ever been followed that a person who died first or was beatified first has to be canonized first.  There's tons of examples of this.  Probably the most famous example, because of the "competition" between the two orders, is that of St. Dominic and St. Francis.  St. Dominic died in 1221 and was canonized in 1234. In the meantime, St. Francis died in 1226 and was canonized in 1228--he was fast-tracked right by St. Dominic, even though both were doubtless saints with tons of miracles. 

Popes may also wave certain canonical requirements to move the process along.  For example, Pius XI waived the need for miracles when he canonized Sts. John Fisher and Thomas More.  He figured their public cult was important for the Church at that time and that it shouldn't wait any longer than it already had.

Some causes last hundreds of years, some only a couple--this has always been the case.  Some may stay beatified indefinitely for a variety of reasons.  Most importantly, beatification is not just a step to sainthood, it is a permission for a local public cult.  If there is a strong devotion to a person in a particular location, but not much universally, the Church may simply just leave the person in the status of beati.  A lot of the John Paul II  beatifications are like this (since he gave priority to existing causes--some existing for centuries--of people from locations without a saint or blessed).