Pope Francis invites homeless to dine at Vatican
(07-10-2013, 01:54 PM)Basilios Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly but IIRC the title 'Servant of the servants of God' isn't about his lowly status it's about him being the No. 1 on earth. Kinda like saying the 'drunkest of drunks' or 'swimmer of all swimmers' or 'bluest of the blue' or 'best of the best'.

I thought it was like the bishops are the servants of God, and the Pope is the servant of the servants of God.  Like, he who wishes to be first shall be last.  A good Pope doesn't eat until everyone else is fed, kind of deal.
(07-10-2013, 08:21 PM)nmoerbeek Wrote: Doesn't every Pope do this every year?

Never heard of it before.
(07-10-2013, 11:07 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 01:54 PM)Basilios Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly but IIRC the title 'Servant of the servants of God' isn't about his lowly status it's about him being the No. 1 on earth. Kinda like saying the 'drunkest of drunks' or 'swimmer of all swimmers' or 'bluest of the blue' or 'best of the best'.

I thought it was like the bishops are the servants of God, and the Pope is the servant of the servants of God.  Like, he who wishes to be first shall be last.  A good Pope doesn't eat until everyone else is fed, kind of deal.

Meh, I can't remember where I read the thing I said. Maybe I made it up. I remember thinking the above and then reading something that said the thing I am saying, so I changed my mind, now I guess I will change it back since it does make more sense  Smile
Let's not forget....

He also attended the lunch.
Pope St Gregory the Great used to do that sort of thing.
(07-11-2013, 03:49 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised.  The fact that we haven't heard it before doesn't surprise me either. I mean we all know the media thinks the current Pope (vs the previous pope) is the cat's meow. 
I wondered if these folks had any pre-screening, pat downs, x-rays, bomb and drug checks on their way into the Vatican. Consider the indignities we taxpaying citizens suffer when we go to airports, court buildings, amusement parks, and even some schools.
(07-11-2013, 07:55 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 03:49 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised.  The fact that we haven't heard it before doesn't surprise me either. I mean we all know the media thinks the current Pope (vs the previous pope) is the cat's meow. 

I don't know how old you are, but I well remember the election of John Paul II. Young, athletic, first non-Italian in centuries! Talk about 'the media think(ing) the current Pope (vs the previous pope) is the cat's meow!' Of course, it was to Paul VI he was compared, but if he had done something like this, it would have been trumpeted from the housetops! Smile
(07-11-2013, 08:05 AM)lauermar Wrote: I wondered if these folks had any pre-screening, pat downs, x-rays, bomb and drug checks on their way into the Vatican. Consider the indignities we taxpaying citizens suffer when we go to airports, court buildings, amusement parks, and even some schools.
  I thought you had class.  I used to be homeless.  Not all homeless people are bums! You ought to be ashamed of yourself.  I take that as a personal insult.  >sad
(07-11-2013, 05:22 PM)AstroKitty Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 08:05 AM)lauermar Wrote: I wondered if these folks had any pre-screening, pat downs, x-rays, bomb and drug checks on their way into the Vatican. Consider the indignities we taxpaying citizens suffer when we go to airports, court buildings, amusement parks, and even some schools.
   I thought you had class.  I used to be homeless.  Not all homeless people are bums! You ought to be ashamed of yourself.  I take that as a personal insult.   >sad

I can't speak for lauermar, but I didn't take that as an insult towards the homeless.  I just took it to mean that, despite these folks being homeless, she wonders whether they took necessary precautions to protect the Pope.  Just because someone is homeless doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't/couldn't hurt the Pope.  It also doesn't necessarily mean that they definitely would either.