Pope Francis invites homeless to dine at Vatican
(07-11-2013, 05:22 PM)AstroKitty Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 08:05 AM)lauermar Wrote: I wondered if these folks had any pre-screening, pat downs, x-rays, bomb and drug checks on their way into the Vatican. Consider the indignities we taxpaying citizens suffer when we go to airports, court buildings, amusement parks, and even some schools.
   I thought you had class.  I used to be homeless.  Not all homeless people are bums! You ought to be ashamed of yourself.  I take that as a personal insult.   >sad

As a former homeless person, I totally agree!
(07-11-2013, 08:05 AM)lauermar Wrote: I wondered if these folks had any pre-screening, pat downs, x-rays, bomb and drug checks on their way into the Vatican. Consider the indignities we taxpaying citizens suffer when we go to airports, court buildings, amusement parks, and even some schools.

I am sure they would !!! not maybe as far as you have said x rays etc , But I have been to 2 Papal mass's inside the Vatican and you have to go through metal decdetors , pat downs etc and the guards had sniffer dogs . So it was bascially like an airport check. So its certainly done to anyone that is in close contact with the Pope. The only time I can see this not happening is during his weekly audience.
(07-10-2013, 11:46 AM)Tenmaru Wrote: This is exactly right. Servant of the servants of God.

We can have both power as Christ's Church yet humility and charity. In fact, we must.
[size=10pt]
The only problem - which is no fault of the Pope's - is that these days it is next to impossible to do good by stealth. Surely this is exactly what Popes - and why not all Christians ? - should do
[/size]sad(
(07-11-2013, 10:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
   I thought you had class.  I used to be homeless.  Not all homeless people are bums! You ought to be ashamed of yourself.  I take that as a personal insult.   >sad

Judgemental much? For 10 years I worked in public health clinics serving the poor. I also worked a Catholic hospital in a high crime neighborhood. My pay was so low I was among the working poor myself. Most people I cared for were people who were basically gracious but made difficult choices regarding their personal health, lifestyles and such. Some were old, elderly, sick, addicted or mentally ill and couldn't help themselves. Others were actually dangerous and even criminal. I had to discern when it was safe to do my job. I can think of times when I had to leave an area to return later after things had quieted down. So yes, there is potential for danger anywhere--airports, schools, courthouses, public places, even the Vatican!

I strongly recommend that you two stop making assumptions about people here and practice charity. Calumny is a sin, not just "unclassy." An apology to anyone you've misjudged on this site would be appropriate.
(07-20-2013, 11:56 AM)lauermar Wrote:

Judgemental much? For 10 years I worked in public health clinics serving the poor. I also worked a Catholic hospital in a high crime neighborhood. My pay was so low I was among the working poor myself. Most people I cared for were people who were basically gracious but made difficult choices regarding their personal health, lifestyles and such. Some were old, elderly, sick, addicted or mentally ill and couldn't help themselves. Others were actually dangerous and even criminal. I had to discern when it was safe to do my job. I can think of times when I had to leave an area to return later after things had quieted down. So yes, there is potential for danger anywhere--airports, schools, courthouses, public places, even the Vatican!

I strongly recommend that you two stop making assumptions about people here and practice charity. Calumny is a sin, not just "unclassy." An apology to anyone you've misjudged on this site would be appropriate.
  I'm sorry I misjudged you,OK.  It's just that so many times I've been judged for my situation,because of  the fact that I can't work, and a lot of folks seem to think that people like me are lazy and bums, etc who won't work.  I tried to hold down a job, and found out my mental disability won't let me.  I was homeless for awhile and all but rejected by my siblings (my folks have passed- I'm the only Catholic in the family) So I tend to take these things personally.  I'll try not to judge so harsh next time, OK?
(07-20-2013, 06:13 PM)AstroKitty Wrote:
(07-20-2013, 11:56 AM)lauermar Wrote:

I'm sorry I misjudged you,OK.  It's just that so many times I've been judged for my situation,because of  the fact that I can't work, and a lot of folks seem to think that people like me are lazy and bums, etc who won't work.  I tried to hold down a job, and found out my mental disability won't let me.  I was homeless for awhile and all but rejected by my siblings (my folks have passed- I'm the only Catholic in the family) So I tend to take these things personally.  I'll try not to judge so harsh next time, OK?

Same here. Sorry.

I was only homeless for a few months, but I went from a solid middle class life, working, going out to eat, surfing the web on my own computer, etc. to homeless in a very short time due to a couple of bad life choices that seemed like wise decisions when I made them. I was once attacked on this forum for having been homeless, with the implication that I was a lazy bum who didn't have the gumption to do anything else. After I pointed out that I had held a job all my life until that, had been a homeowner and successfully raised five decent, productive human beings, I told the person I would pray that they never made a bad choice in their life.