NFP for health reasons -need info please!
I'm reposting this because yesterday's posts got all messed up:

My doctor has asked me to use the Creighton method of nfp so that he can determine what exactly my hormone imbalance is, and why I'm getting painful ovarian cysts.

The problem with this is that I can't find anywhere any information on how to follow it.  I went to an introductory class, but it was only an introduction, and it was basically a "sales pitch" for 8 individual sessions over a year-long period, geared towards couples.  I'm not doing this for birth control, and I have no interest in sitting down with a training couple to learn about how to practice this method.

This whole thing has gotten me into a sort of uproar.  At the intro session, the speaker made a special point to talk about sexual intimacy.  And that employing the technique didn't require couples to abstain from sexual contact during fertile times, but only to abstain from genital contact.  This really kind of makes me sick, and I was quite uncomfortable with the talk.  This whole thing is run by and developed by the Catholic church and yet they are teaching young couples that this is "catholic birth control" and that they should engage in sexual intimacy that does not involve genital contact????!!!  So I guess that means that they're going to teach the couples about how to have their fun while foregoing intercourse?  This makes me very sick and angry and I don't want to pay these people $200 just to figure out how to make these charts so that my Doctor can read them.

Does anyone out there have any info about this method and maybe you can PM me?  I have the basic gist of charting, but I need to know what the "codes" are for different mucous indicators in order to comply with my doctor's request.  Help!

I found these websites about the method but haven't been able to find any info on the coding system... it seems they want to keep it secret to further their agenda by selling the one on one sessions.  http://www.creightonmodel.com/  and http://www.popepaulvi.com/

If anyone has any info on how to chart using this method please PM me.  Also, thoughts on whether or not it would be morally right to attend the one on one sessions.  I'm debating about that.  I feel maybe it's wrong to support these people, but I really want the information to use this doctor's plan.

miss_fluffy Wrote:If anyone has any info on how to chart using this method please PM me.  Also, thoughts on whether or not it would be morally right to attend the one on one sessions.  I'm debating about that.  I feel maybe it's wrong to support these people, but I really want the information to use this doctor's plan.

This is gunna open a can of worms, you'll get the new age Humane Vitaeists catholics saying "NFP is perfectly natural and approved by the Church blah blah blah" (picture a 45-55 year old woman with short graying hair and a billings book...pointing and yelling).Your gut feeling about it is spot on. My mum was talking to a priest the other day and he said that NFP is a massive problem in the church right now. (duh)
From what I know on the issue what you are after is Periodic Abstinence. I'm quite sure a good priest would know where to point you into the right direction, unfortunately most of the time its in the billings direction (where it is advertised as 99% effective against a pregnancy....hmmm thats real catholic isn't it...go forth and multiply my foot) What about a good Catholic doctor? Is there one available to you in your area? That might be another option for you. Anyway, Mum (Marylou) seems to be able to answer these question ok so I'll point her this way for you. Good luck mate. Hope all is well.
MissFluffy

Have you considered consulting a homeopath. Many people at our SSPX Parrish use them and are very happy.
A friends wife had kidney stones. GP says "opperate. they're too big to pass". Homeopath disolved them in three weeks.
My daughter had eczema. GP says" get used to it, here's some cream". Homeopath got rid of it in two weeks.
I have a heal spur, they hurt. GP says "sorry to hear that" Homeopath is doing well, they are hard to treat but she's doing well.
My wife had some women's problems aswell. GP says "go on the pill" "just take an injection every three months" he might as well say "stop being a woman". No problem for the homeopath though, cured.

As for NFP tradition says financial, social or medical reason or not on. You have a medical reason it would seem. This would be better sought from a Priest not me. I'm sure about the homeopath though.

Daniel
Marty Wrote:What about a good Catholic doctor? Is there one available to you in your area? That might be another option for you.

A good Catholic doctor would recommend NFP, which is simply the name for periodic abstinence, which is allowed, even before "Humane Vitae" (and I'm under 30 and I don't have any grey hair- unless I continue to have these discussions)

Could you please take your agenda against it to another thread? 
FYI everyone, This is only for health reasons.  I am single and abstain from sex anyways so there's no reason for me to employ the method other than following a CATHOLIC doctor's instructions so that he can chart my hormone levels.

I already have access and prior knowledge about other methods of NFP.  The doctor is very specific that I must use the Creighton Method... also known as Napro Technology.  It seems they are very guarded about the method, and only offer access to it through these couple counseling classes.  Which aggravates me because I don't need bogus "catholic" birth control classes.  I only need the specifics on how to chart this technique.

sigh... I may have to turn to another source.  I have looked into Homeopathy/naturopathic doctors.  But since they're not on my health plan, I can't afford their services right now.
fiatvoluntastua Wrote:
Marty Wrote:What about a good Catholic doctor? Is there one available to you in your area? That might be another option for you.

A good Catholic doctor would recommend NFP, which is simply the name for periodic abstinence, which is allowed, even before "Humane Vitae" (and I'm under 30 and I don't have any grey hair- unless I continue to have these discussions)

Could you please take your agenda against it to another thread? 

[Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif] my agenda??? Your a funny one.[Image: salute.gif] what ever you say dude.
Well Fluff, I checked out the Paul VI link, but the Creighton one didn't work for me. It looks pretty high tech and very impressive.

What tests has your doc run?

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I haven't had any tests yet.  His method is that he takes blood samples during key moments in the cycle to determine what the hormone levels look like.

He also makes an assessment based on the charts themselves.  Like how many days "fertile" mucous was present.  etc.  There's also a whole system of diagnosis using the Creighton method that involves an evaluation of the timing of cycles (ie post-ovulatory duration) and apparently flow, color, and duration of menses also provides information about what kind of hormone imbalances are going on.

This doctor won't even bother starting with a patient until they have completed two months of creighton charting.  I think I'm going to call his office again and see if they will just give me a list of the codes used for this method.

edit to add: previous doctors I have gone to have run the whole gamet... ultrasound, cat-scans etc. Funny, it cost thousands of dollars to determine that I am getting periodic cysts, and all they could do was say, here take birth control pills, it'll make your body stop "trying" to ovulate.
My daughter (teenage) used to get painful cysts. She also had a miserable UTI that went on for months. Our doc finally made her an appointment with a urologist, which the urologist's office cancelled, twice. Providentially, it would seem.

A series of unforeseen events landed us in the office of a naturopath/chiropractor for a different kid, so I thought, let's give it a try for this one, too. Not only did he detect the UTI, but the ovarian cysts, too, and some gut issues- she has always had tummy troubles. I was pretty impressed since I only told him about the UTI. I bought the recommended products and they worked. The cost was about $200.00, much less than the co-pays for the invasive testing awaiting her at the urologist office. [Image: eek.gif] I was very happy with the naturopath, and when I told her regular doc about it he was fine with it and pleased that she was spared the invasive tests, too.

I forget how old you are, Fluffy, but you might want to consider balancing out your hormones yourself with progesterone cream and skip the charting for now. It's possible that you would end up on progesterone anyway.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:I forget how old you are, Fluffy, but you might want to consider balancing out your hormones yourself with progesterone cream and skip the charting for now. It's possible that you would end up on progesterone anyway.

I'm 32.  I might look into doing that. Thanks!