How to keep a family devoutly Catholic?
I grew up in a family that *tried* to go to church for the holidays only and this was wrong, obviously. How do you fishies with families keep your families faithful? Do/did you read child friendly versions of the gospels to your kids? How about teenagers and spouses? Please discuss.
Idk how to keep children devout throughout adulthood, but it would be wonderful to have more church based activities for young people.
There's a big gap between childhood and adulthood with not much in it, so teens don't have the opportunity to build strong community ties to the church. We should cone up with something...
I agree. Protestants are full of youth activities that keep the kids informed and are actually quite scandalous. When I was a teenager, my 14 year old cousin was dating a BORN AGAIN girl and her parents made him go on a retreat. He wasn't/isn't religious at all. Well, he and a few other prot kids got into a bunch of trouble with their pastor for smoking and visiting the girls.

I always thought that Catholic school kids had it more together but I quickly found out that most of them do not. It's sad. My own mother went to Catholic school and didn't learn anything about Catholicism. She's divorced and has two kids from two different marriages. I'd like to avoid this type of lifestyle and have my future kids grow up without that mentality.
I am the youngest of 10 children, born in 68...my parents are the stereotypical traditional catholics. While growing up,  there was nothing kid friendly, it was fundamentals from a young age, never missed the exposition of the blessed sacrament, confession, rosary every night. At the time I hated it, none of my friends parents were so devoutly catholic to the extent that the rosary was prayed every night; I hated being different at the time, but it was the fundamentals and not watered down for kids. Everyone of my brothers and sisters, including me, did not practice to that extent when we got our first taste of freedom, as a matter of fact, some of us revelled in our freedom when we got it. But, there is no better life preparer than traditional  fundamentals , You only realize it as you grow wiser and suffer life's hardships. It is a foundation that withstands stress even when temporarily neglected; it is the good soil. Sorry to say, but most of my childhood friends are now fair weather catholics at best, if they practice at all. I do not think there is any way to make the truth kid friendly or more engaging for kids; most efforts to make the catholic faith teen and preteen relevant and cool have disastrous effects because it's simply not pop culture content, it is life itself!

However, honest traditional catholic teaching needs 2 things to be embraced for a lifetime by your kids ( in my opinion)
1- parents who practice what they preach! Without this, there is only hypocracy. The home is a child's greatest faith and morals teacher, without question! Not camp, not retreats, not "Catechism" by members of the laity of unknown understanding of the faith.

2- a sound parish priest, fearless and devout. The priest of my childhood and teenage years was probably like most of the older fishies first priest; not everyone's best friend, but was compassionate in the face of grief, stern in the face of indifference, and lead by example when it came to devotion.  He did not try to fit in, and did not provoke but was not afraid to offend with a sermon. His love of golf and hatred of the New York Yankees were badges he wore on his sleeve. He was dignified and respected.

We all know that those days are gone; Archbishop Sheen is no longer on the airwaves, but If your priest is not sound and devout, find another parish or limit your childrens exposure to the essentials, ... obtaining the sacraments. However, how you live and the lessons you provide to your kids on faith and morals in the home are the greatest means you have to ensure their lifelong devotion to the church.

Oh yeah, pray pray pray for your children tirelessly that they will wise up and settle on the foundation before they do something stupid... I have boys all late teens early 20's! Morally sound but easily led astray, ( as our parish priest noted above would say, not much smarter than a big dog!)
It takes effort and application each day. Best of all cultivate a love affair. And serve God in all things. Everything you do your best at that is good is devotion. The little way.
Although not practical advice, there's some study out there that says if the dad is the obvious spiritual leader in the household, the chances of the children continuing to practice in adulthood is something like 70 percent. If the dad isn't, but only the mom is, it's something like 30 percent. So devout dads will help create a devout family.
I would suggest, just live your life as consistently as possible in practising the faith.
Children won't understand it all, but they will witness the coherence between what you preech and how you live.
Also keep it simple, say the rosary together as a family every evening before a statue of Our Lady.
To increase the odds of your child remaining a faithful catholic, you may want to consider the following:

1) Avoid the N.O. at all cost - evidence is overwhelming that it will result in falling away or lukewarmness (in some degree).  Go to the TLM exclusively.
2) Pray the rosary daily as a family
3) Homeschool or traditional catholic education (tons of "catholic" schools that may be more poisonous than secular schools)
4) Get rid of the tv.  Nothing indoctrinates like the tube
5) Heavy monitoring and limit use of internet
6) Make Catholicism the central tenet of the family, not simply a Sunday thang (i.e. - read books about saints, trips that include seeing a great Catholic Church or site, etc)
7) Strong catechism; teach them about the lies of the world as well so they don't learn about it on their own, alone

(07-18-2013, 10:45 AM)onosurf Wrote: To increase the odds of your child remaining a faithful catholic, you may want to consider the following:

1) Avoid the N.O. at all cost - evidence is overwhelming that it will result in falling away or lukewarmness (in some degree).  Go to the TLM exclusively.
2) Pray the rosary daily as a family
3) Homeschool or traditional catholic education (tons of "catholic" schools that may be more poisonous than secular schools)
4) Get rid of the tv.  Nothing indoctrinates like the tube
5) Heavy monitoring and limit use of internet
6) Make Catholicism the central tenet of the family, not simply a Sunday thang (i.e. - read books about saints, trips that include seeing a great Catholic Church or site, etc)
7) Strong catechism; teach them about the lies of the world as well so they don't learn about it on their own, alone

I should add one more thing:

8) College is proving to be the devil's church/playground with heavy indoctrination.  It seems all are infected.  Maybe a very small handful are less infected (i.e. - U. of Dallas and St. Thomas Aquinas University in Santa Barbara).  I haven't done much research because my kids are young, thus the very short list.  I do know that it is bad, even at the very best like U. of Dallas.
The kids' friends will most likely be alienated by the kids' religious zealotry.  From my experience, not-so-religious people think that zealots are people who go to Mass regularly and don't disagree with Church teachings.  At some point they'll have to choose between friends and religion, and religion usually loses.