Law & Order Dennis Farina RIP
I liked him in Law & Order, he was a real Chicago copper. Farina came from St. Michael's Parish on North Ave. and Wells Street. That's at the northern end of what is now called "Old Town".  I used to frequent a bar in that Parish long ago called Lum's. We went because we were young and they had San Miguel's beer there cheap cheap cheap. San Miguels had terrible quality control in those days and a six pack could get an 18 year old a nice buzz for cheap. My father paid his acting his highest compliment in his first TV series. He said he's just like the cops from the 40's. RIP Farina.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...cist-says/

tim
(07-23-2013, 12:46 PM)Tim Wrote: I liked him in Law & Order, he was a real Chicago copper. Farina came from St. Michael's Parish on North Ave. and Wells Street. That's at the northern end of what is now called "Old Town".  I used to frequent a bar in that Parish long ago called Lum's. We went because we were young and they had San Miguel's beer there cheap cheap cheap. San Miguels had terrible quality control in those days and a six pack could get an 18 year old a nice buzz for cheap. My father paid his acting his highest compliment in his first TV series. He said he's just like the cops from the 40's. RIP Farina.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...cist-says/

tim

I always thought that this 'character actor' had to have been the real deal before he started portraying tough guys in the flicks. I'd been watching one of his series; "Unsolved Mysteries" on Netflix. Sad to see him go and happy to see he's one of the true characters in films.
I really liked him in Crime Story, that's where I first saw him. It was an 80's Michael Mann series about the Chicago mobsters from the 60s era making the move to Vegas. RIP

That scene was pretty much the way it was then. That's gone forever. The 18 he mentioned is Town Hall Station. In those days you went before the Sargent at the desk and then they took you down steel steps to the lock-up It was amazing how many "bad guys" fell down them steps and suffered many broken bones, bruises and contusions. After the politicos "professionalized" the PD, that 18 in a very tough neighborhood was going to be moved a couple of miles west in a safer neighborhood. They left some coppers there, and like Fort Apache the Bronx, they were really surrounded by killers on all sides. Just getting in and out of the Town Hall Station was a fire fight. Today that has all changed and it is way upscale and the Town Hall is fully manned again. The neighborhood is two separate groups to the south it is "boys town" home to the gays, and north is wrigleyville home to the yuppies. Both forced out real families and took the homes for pennies and those homes are near a million or so each.

tim
He's waked at Montclair/Lucania Funeral Parlor on the west side. This is where in the day the Mafiatore were waked. His Funeral Mass is Tuesday at the Church of the Assumption on Illinois Street. RIP.

I'll bet Joe Montegna, the actor, will be a pall bearer he is a supporter of the Parish. I believe it is the only ethnic Servite parish still in existence, though it hasn't been ethnic since guess when. It was the first Church for Italian immigrants in  Chicago, but Dennis Farina was from St. Michaels which is north of the Assumption, but he may have been originally from Assumption. Montegna is a great supporter of ethnic stuff, and made a documentary on this Assumption Church and how Mother Cabrini started the Grade School there.

tim
Good info Tim. I LOVED Crime Story. From all accounts, EVERYONE loved Farina. Sad to him go so soon...
R+I+P