NFP and the Traditional Latin Mass
(07-25-2013, 07:17 PM)Aggie3 Wrote: I know this won't be a popular comment, but I don't believe in the use of NFP for any reason. I came to this conclusion before I was a "trad" so it's not a trad-thing for me. I used to be a HUGE NFP cheerleader, and arriving at this conclusion was a journey, to say the least.

The Church allows NFP, so the best I can say for it is that it is a licit practice. Couples who use NFP for just reasons do so licitly, though it is the imperfect and less-holy road to take. Trusting in God and forgoing any family planning is the holier route.

Granted, these are my opinions and I know many people disagree. The last time I voiced my opinion in a public forum, I royally p-ed off some people (and lost some friends/aquaintances). Turns out, some Catholics get very angry when you start messing with their "approved" method of family planning.

As long as you're saying it's your opinion and not "Church teaching," I can't see what the problem folks would have with what you think about how you should live your life. None of their business, eh?
The only person I know who has been very vocal in the condemnation of NFP is Solage Hertz.  But among other things I admire her for her orthodox catholicity and the tremendous volume of writings on the Faith.
(07-25-2013, 06:22 PM)Chestertonian Wrote:
(07-25-2013, 06:13 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(07-25-2013, 04:59 PM)deprofundis Wrote: The NFP methods can be used to help struggling couples have children. It is often used, however, to prevent pregnancy. When it comes to NFP, the N and the F are wonderful, it's the P that's the problem.

What do traditional Catholics think of this?  How do they respond to criticisms that this is just another form of contraception?  Did couples practice this pre-Vatican II?

Couples practiced more rudimentary forms of NFP, mostly the rhythm method, which follows similar principles (i.e. abstaining during fertile days) but isn't as effective because it doesn't take into account the fact that most womens' bodies don't function like a calendar.

Was the "rhythm method" an approved Church practice, like NFP is now?
Both NFP and rhythm involve a couple voluntarily abstaining from sexual intercourse sometimes.  Do opponents of these practices believe that a couple must never abstain from sexual intercourse? 
(07-25-2013, 11:46 PM)Vincentius Wrote: The only person I know who has been very vocal in the condemnation of NFP is Solage Hertz.  But among other things I admire her for her orthodox catholicity and the tremendous volume of writings on the Faith.

I really like this blog- http://philotheaonphire.blogspot.com/  The writers name is Jay Boyd and she has written a lot about NFP (and other things).