Pope Francis against the "Pelagianism" of "restorationism": It's official
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/07...sm-of.html
[Image: sadpanda.png]
Now we need the smarter fisheaters here. I thought Pelagianism is doing good works without sanctifying grace believing grace is not necessary for salvation. So doesn't this refer to marxist liberation theology ? In short we are justified by works alone.

tim
I would not  jump to conclusions. His remarks are focused on the situation in Latin America. And he did condemn the "enneagram" though that wasn't included in the official remarks. It would be good to see everything he said including the "off the cuff" things.

C.
I think he should give Pope Benedict a job , sit at his desk and make sure every pick for Bishop is 100% orthodox, nothing changes if you have half hearted bishops at the local diocese.
Can anyone comment on the original Spanish text here and how well it was translated to English?
"La propuesta pelagiana. Aparece fundamentalmente bajo la forma de restauracionismo. Ante los males de la Iglesia se busca una solución sólo en la disciplina, en la restauración de conductas y formas superadas que, incluso culturalmente, no tienen capacidad significativa. En América Latina suele darse en pequeños grupos, en algunas nuevas Congregaciones Religiosas, en tendencias exageradas a la “seguridad” doctrinal o disciplinaria. Fundamentalmente es estática, si bien puede prometerse una dinámica hacia adentro: involuciona. Busca “recuperar” el pasado perdido"

C.
I'd like to hear how pelagianism and restorationism come together. To my mind they are diametrically opposed. Pelagianism is an earmark of the Libs, do good work and all are saved, while restoration sems, and this word is not really exact, could describe the return to a TLM. I hope some one that is a native Spanish speaker would translate and explain if these remarks are idiomatic South American Spanish. I know personally the difference in expression from all the different Genovese to Italian can be misleading to Italians.

tim
The translation is accurate.
I concur with Unum Sit. I am fluent in Spanish.
(07-28-2013, 07:00 PM)Tim Wrote: Now we need the smarter fisheaters here. I thought Pelagianism is doing good works without sanctifying grace believing grace is not necessary for salvation. So doesn't this refer to marxist liberation theology ? In short we are justified by works alone.

tim

He seems to be criticizing the idea that returning to stricters norms of discipline will correct the crisis in the Church, calling it "Pelagianism," I suppose, because of its focus on exterior acts.

If the people in question ignore the need for interior conversion then this criticism seems entirely justified. I can only assume that the Holy Father knows LA's problems better than I.
What I don't get is in the US the Church is semi-pelagian. We have according to both National Catholic Papers about 75 percent contracepting, which means no sanctifying grace, and those same folks are pushing the habitat for humanity social justice good works as the only thing which counts. I must be stupid or nutz.

tim