Dancing bishops at World Youth Day 2013
(07-28-2013, 09:05 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: No harm done, except possible scandel to others who see it. "Wow did you see those bishops? The church is finally in the 21st century" Could you imagine St John Vianney, St Alphonus dancing along with the crowd?

No, I certainly could not.  However, I am not sure exactly what cause there is for scandal.  What moral tenant is being violated or what teaching of the Church ignored in the fact that some bishops danced?  There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be scandalized these days, one does not need to go looking for them.  I am far more concerned about the legitimate liturgical abuses that happen all the time, some of which have been noted at WYD, and one which happened today in my own parish.  In addition, I am far more concerned about the damage done to the Church by the new theology and associated lousy catechesis which remains rampant throughout the Church.  While I find things like this annoying and frustrating, I am having a hard time getting worked up over it without some evidence of objective wrong doing. 
(07-28-2013, 09:09 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote:
(07-28-2013, 09:05 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: No harm done, except possible scandel to others who see it. "Wow did you see those bishops? The church is finally in the 21st century" Could you imagine St John Vianney, St Alphonus dancing along with the crowd?

No, I certainly could not.  However, I am not sure exactly what cause there is for scandal.  What moral tenant ijs being violated or what teaching of the Church ignored in the fact that some bishops danced?  There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be scandalized these days, one does not need to go looking for them.  I am far more concerned about the legitimate liturgical abuses that happen all the time, some of which have been noted at WYD, and one which happened today in my own parish.  In addition, I am far more concerned about the damage done to the Church by the new theology and associated lousy catechesis which remains rampant throughout the Church.  While I find things like this annoying and frustrating, I am having a hard time getting worked up over it without some evidence of objective wrong doing. 

Since WYD started occurring in the 80's, has it been a measurable success in increasing the faith in the areas it was held beyond the weekend it occurred? I remember Pope Benedict XVI saying that it needed to be seen as more than a 'weekend rock festival'... The question I have is, has it been more than that? And if it has not, and it only creates a rock star cult around the pope's presence, why does the Church do it? 
And how many youths that went there spent the night together, had sex, and went to Communion the next day?  Seeing dancing bishops/priests no doubt "loosened them up" a little bit. Why was St John Vianney so against dancing for lay people? He would have been horrified at the thought of bishops/priests doing so. I know what he would have said, that it would have been better for those bishops/priests to spend all that time hearing confessions.
(07-28-2013, 11:32 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: And how many youths that went there spent the night together, had sex, and went to Communion the next day?  Seeing dancing bishops/priests no doubt "loosened them up" a little bit.

:LOL:

I don't know, that choreography would be more of a libido-killer if anything....
Where else can protestant Catholic bishops make jackasses of themselves in front of millions of people but in the Latin rite and in a growing pentecostal country!. :LOL:  Satan must be rejoicing!
Voris showed a video of the same bishops dancing in full vestment right before Mass the next day after the practice session.  That bothers me much more than the first session, which has gone viral. 

I don't get what all the fuss is about. The Church only prohibits this sort of nonsense within the context of the liturgy.
(07-29-2013, 11:58 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: Voris showed a video of the same bishops dancing in full vestment right before Mass the next day after the practice session.  That bothers me much more than the first session, which has gone viral. 

That could have been the vision Pope Leo Xlll had that upset him so.

Perhaps that choreography was a strategy to "out" and identify the gay bishops... on the premise they should be the really good dancers, being light in their oxfords....

What else can explain that?????

Check out:
World Youth Day, From Catholicism to Counterchurch
by Cornelia R. Ferreira and John Vennari, Canisius Books, 2005, 229 pp.
(07-30-2013, 12:12 AM)devoutchristian Wrote: I don't get what all the fuss is about. The Church only prohibits this sort of nonsense within the context of the liturgy.

It makes the Holy Catholic Church look like a big joke.  How can bishops be given due respect while they're dancing around like fools right before the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass?!  Bishops are supposed to be and appear dignified, and they're also supposed to set an example for the laity by acting properly — by showing reverence — right before Holy Mass is about to begin.