Pope Francis on gays: "Who am I to judge?"
I second Tim's uneasiness, particularly when a church leader plays the diplomatic "who am I to judge" card regarding gay issues. We certainly *can* judge the overt behavior (just not where they will go after they die.)

I'm still waiting for the "fruits" of the Charismatic renewal movement to come to fruition since its beginnings in 1970. Where are the massive increases in weddings, baptisms, numbers of children born, conversions to Catholic faith, Sunday mass attendance, confessions, religious vocations, etc.? All indicators look like it's been the opposite.

My understanding of how Jesus "forgives and forgets" is predicated on His mercy *and* justice. Forgiveness depends on true contrition. And justice demands that forgiven sins are not forgotten until the person has paid the last penny by suffering the temporal effects in purgatory (if not in one's lifetime.)

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031). The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven."  Catholic.com
Well this should make certain people around here very happy. 
the Pope Wrote:"Causes for both Paul VI and for Papa Luciani [John Paul I] are also underway"

Well, that's a relief.  :((
(07-29-2013, 10:25 AM)Dusty_Bottoms Wrote:
the Pope Wrote:"Causes for both Paul VI and for Papa Luciani [John Paul I] are also underway"

Well, that's a relief.  :((

Well, sure.  Can't have XXIII without VI.  :eyeroll:

As for JPI, I don't get it.
He basically reiterated Church teaching on gays in the general sense.  My concern is more about what has been reported in terms of gay priests.  Pope Benedict made strong efforts towards weeding out people with SSA from seminaries etc., and if that is rolled back, or not pushed completely, we will be looking at another sex abuse crisis down the road.  Depending on what HH Francis actually meant by his comments (a reoccurring question since the onset of his pontificate) we could be in for another set of problems, or absolutely nothing. 

If Francis was reiterating Church teaching, he couldn't have been more vague. The liberal media is eating this stuff up; portraying these comments as a shift in policy. Meanwhile, the "professional" Catholics are adamant that Francis said nothing new.

I think the pope is a Rorschach ink blot. You can see in his comments whatever you want to.  Maybe that's intentional on his part.  Frankly, I don't like his M.O. at all.

"The devil's favorite color is gray."
can't judge gay priests but can judge Traditionalists....fun world we live in
If he had said anything crazy there would already have been headlines.
More of the same. The West will love him. Christianity is a Jamboree of equal opportunities!
(07-29-2013, 11:05 AM)Oatmeal Wrote: If Francis was reiterating Church teaching, he couldn't have been more vague......
"The devil's favorite color is gray."

Two thumbs up, Oatmeal.
I was amused at how quickly this was shut down over at CAF this morning.  Rocking good comment by one poster:

"I like the "who am I to judge" hogwash. You are the Vicar of Christ. The only man on Earth who can speak with authority on faith and morals."

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=811569