Pope Francis on gays: "Who am I to judge?"
Gez, he's starting to sound like the owner of this forum (I kid Vox! lol).

Seriously, here are his actual words:

"There is so much being written about the gay lobby. I haven’t met anyone in the Vatican yet who has “gay” written on their identity cards. There is a distinction between being gay, being this way inclined and lobbying. Lobbies are not good. If a gay person is in eager search of God, who am I to judge them? The Catholic Church teaches that gay people should not be discriminated against; they should be made to feel welcome. Being gay is not the problem, lobbying is the problem and this goes for any type of lobby, business lobbies, political lobbies and Masonic lobbies.”"

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the...31//pag/4/

The "judge not" phrase is so heavily loaded in today's society. But it obviously doesn't mean we can't judge a person's actions (he judges those who lobby for gay rights as problematic in the very same paragraph).

We have to distinguish being gay and acting on it (in this case promoting it). If someone is gay and searching for God, it is not up to us to pass judgment on their souls.
This forum loves a good scandal.
(07-29-2013, 12:03 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(07-29-2013, 11:05 AM)Oatmeal Wrote: If Francis was reiterating Church teaching, he couldn't have been more vague......
"The devil's favorite color is gray."

Two thumbs up, Oatmeal.
I was amused at how quickly this was shut down over at CAF this morning.  Rocking good comment by one poster:

"I like the "who am I to judge" hogwash. You are the Vicar of Christ. The only man on Earth who can speak with authority on faith and morals."

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=811569

LOL.  Poor MyMy123, he/she isn't going to last long there.
Well, there is some great left wing spin on the pope's press conference. CNN was pretty gay, even for CNN. I have to admit, this is one of the tougher stories from the church I have had to swallow in a long time...

And then I seen this headline... Bikini Clad worshippers Attend Rio Mass. ... And the first story didn't  seem so bad anymore, lol

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2013/07/28/ge-vo-marquez-pope-brazil-beach-mass.cnn.html

Kyrie Eleison
(07-29-2013, 05:53 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(07-29-2013, 11:05 AM)Oatmeal Wrote: If Francis was reiterating Church teaching, he couldn't have been more vague......

Two thumbs up, Oatmeal.
I was amused at how quickly this was shut down over at CAF this morning.  Rocking good comment by one poster:

"I like the "who am I to judge" hogwash. You are the Vicar of Christ. The only man on Earth who can speak with authority on faith and morals."

You aren't kidding.  I just PM'd both of those poster and warned them about the lay of the land on CAF, as well as inviting them to Fish Eaters. 
(07-29-2013, 06:22 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote:
(07-29-2013, 05:53 PM)2Vermont Wrote:

Two thumbs up, Oatmeal.

You aren't kidding.  I just PM'd both of those poster and warned them about the lay of the land on CAF, as well as inviting them to Fish Eaters. 

Sending you a PM
(07-29-2013, 05:19 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Anyone else just plain tired of trying to figure out what the Cardinal meant, what the Pope meant, what Vatican II meant?

Seriously.

This is ridiculous.

Will the real Catholic Church please stand up?

It is not that hard to figure out that the media virtually always spins anything that the Pope says to support a particular agenda.  Ignore the headlines and the spin and read his exact words with as much context as possible.  There was not anything wrong with what he actually said and it was not that hard to figure it out.
(07-29-2013, 06:46 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(07-29-2013, 05:19 PM)2Vermont Wrote: Anyone else just plain tired of trying to figure out what the Cardinal meant, what the Pope meant, what Vatican II meant?

Seriously.

This is ridiculous.

It is not that hard to figure out that the media virtually always spins anything that the Pope says to support a particular agenda.  Ignore the headlines and the spin and read his exact words with as much context as possible.  There was not anything wrong with what he actually said and it was not that hard to figure it out.

I would love to be able to blame it all on the media every single time, but it's getting old.  Many times his words are vague at best without the help of the media. 

Seriously.

This is ridiculous.

Its also not hard to figure out that every little thing you say and do will be put under a microscope by the entire world and thus, have a bit of care how you present things and the actions that you take. 
(07-29-2013, 06:53 PM)2Vermont Wrote:

Seriously.

This is ridiculous.

I would love to be able to blame it all on the media every single time, but it's getting old.  Many times his words are vague at best without the help of the media. 

In general, the media is a secular, liberal, anti-Catholic institution that twists things to match their values.  That is the reality every single time they do a story on the pope.  And every single time we hear a negative story about the pope, we should be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and to do our best to understand him.