The Role of Women
Pope Francis also mentioned the need to delve more deeply into the role of women in the Church.

“The role of women doesn’t end just with being a mother and with house work … we don’t yet have a truly deep theology of women in the Church,” he said, while underscoring that the ordination of women is not possible.

I get the impression that he was saying what every guy who has a girlfriend or wife could have said, "Women!!! Who can understand them!!!???"
Do we have a deep theology of man yet? Do we need one? I'm also pretty sure that the theology we have on Our Lady is pretty deep. She's a woman.
I do not believe in male/female spirituality or theology. I simply believe that there are roles that both men and women can and should take on. The role of deaconess is one of them. We just aren't sure what it entailed in the past. There was never a universal law. Maybe this is something that can be examined again. We don't have to get paranoid and say No! no! The ordination of women is right around the corner!! I DON'T think it means that at all.
(07-31-2013, 11:19 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I do not believe in male/female spirituality or theology. I simply believe that there are roles that both men and women can and should take on. The role of deaconess is one of them. We just aren't sure what it entailed in the past. There was never a universal law. Maybe this is something that can be examined again. We don't have to get paranoid and say No! no! The ordination of women is right around the corner!! I DON'T think it means that at all.

There would be serious theological problems with creating deaconesses as an ordained position.  Even creating a role for women called deaconesses that does not involved ordination is a problem because the idea of deaconesses is promoted by people who want women's ordination.  It would be seen as making a concession to them and encourage them to keep working for their goal of women priests. 
There is doctrine on the role of women it's just that it's contrary to the thinking of modern man, which makes it unappealing to pope Francis.
Read JP2 on the dignity and vocation of women and call it a day. 
(07-31-2013, 11:42 AM)JayneK Wrote:
(07-31-2013, 11:19 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I do not believe in male/female spirituality or theology. I simply believe that there are roles that both men and women can and should take on. The role of deaconess is one of them. We just aren't sure what it entailed in the past. There was never a universal law. Maybe this is something that can be examined again. We don't have to get paranoid and say No! no! The ordination of women is right around the corner!! I DON'T think it means that at all.

There would also be serious theological problems with creating deaconesses as an ordained position.  Even creating a role for women called deaconesses that does not involved ordination is a problem because the idea of deaconesses is promoted by people who want women's ordination.  It would be seen as making a concession to them and encourage them to keep working for their goal of women priests. 

Most church historians claim that deaconess was never an ordained office. In my comment I was basically repeating (and agreeing with) what author/speaker Mike Aquilina said on Catholic radio this morning. We simply don't have enough information. Their functions seemed to vary from region to region. Mr. Aquilina is hardly a liberal. He admitted that while reviving the role of women as deacon is not entirely out of the question -- practically speaking he doesn't think it will happen, for the reason you stated.

Pope Francis spoke of a "theology of women in the church." I am always suspicious when I hear theology or spirituality of women (or men) because I'm not sure what it means. If it means what I THINK it means, then I don't believe in it.
Tim's law; all Theologians of any stripe will all be sailed to an island as far from any continent as possible. No internet or telecommunications !!  There they can "play theology" until their heart's content. Once a year the Pope will visit and bless their work. From everything they have written a panel of 5000 grumpy old people, men and women, will choose a paper no longer than two paragraphs and not breaking any new ground to be published. The rest are burned on the beach at a BBQ. Then the Pope leaves and they can play again.

:grin:

tim
(07-31-2013, 02:08 PM)Tim Wrote: Tim's law; all Theologians of any stripe will all be sailed to an island as far from any continent as possible. No internet or telecommunications !!  There they can "play theology" until their heart's content. Once a year the Pope will visit and bless their work. From everything they have written a panel of 5000 grumpy old people, men and women, will choose a paper no longer than two paragraphs and not breaking any new ground to be published. The rest are burned on the beach at a BBQ. Then the Pope leaves and they can play again.

:grin:

tim

Hahahahahaaaa!!!!!
(07-31-2013, 05:06 AM)Basilios Wrote: Do we have a deep theology of man yet? Do we need one? I'm also pretty sure that the theology we have on Our Lady is pretty deep. She's a woman.

We have nothing for men. No body gives a darn about men anymore which is like shooting ourselves in the foot. Studies show its a fathers spiritual life that more greatly influences the children to stay in regular church attendance than mothers. The Church hierarchy needs to stop pandering to modern women at the expense of men. Let's praise women as indeed they are made in God's image but let;s not forget women are not God. They are not entitled to praise at the expense of men.

Yes, we do need a theology of masculinity to correct Pope JPII's disturbing "Feminine Genius" in Mulieris Dignitatem (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_p...em_en.html) and restore some dignity to men. Theologians have largely agreed that he went too far in Mulieris Dignitatem with physical aspects and really made fatherhood a second hand experience.