Pope Francis thinking about declaring Pius XII a saint
(08-01-2013, 11:33 AM)charlesh Wrote: you can push through a fake one at the same time,

Fake one? I thought canonizations were infallible...?
(08-01-2013, 11:38 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-01-2013, 11:33 AM)charlesh Wrote: It's called "greasing the wheel." Canonize a real saint and you can push through a fake one at the same time, like JP2, Paul VI, or Benedict XIV after he dies. It deflates the resistance. It also creates a fine Hegelian mash-up: push through 2 contradictory things, and the result is an extra-special soup of heartfelt deepness. Liberals/modernists love that--their life is a contradiction.

Or maybe Dustinsdad is right.

I was also thinking that the special push for Vatican II saints was a bit interesting, so maybe they throw in a pre-Vatican II saint for good measure.  So it doesn't appear to be just an all-hail Vatican II thing.

Even though most know it is...
His Humble Servant: Sister M. Pascalina Lehnert's Memoirs of Her Years of Service to Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII   will be released in September...awaiting my copy to read. :safe:
(08-01-2013, 02:11 AM)dark lancer Wrote: What is everyone's opinion on which past pope shouldn't be in Heaven?

Pope Michael ?
(08-01-2013, 02:58 PM)eschera Wrote: His Humble Servant: Sister M. Pascalina Lehnert's Memoirs of Her Years of Service to Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII   will be released in September...awaiting my copy to read. :safe:
That does sound good.
(08-01-2013, 01:14 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(08-01-2013, 12:00 PM)DustinsDad Wrote: Here's the link to the pdf of that book : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CD4QFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpadrepioandchiesaviva.com%2Fuploads%2FPaul_VI.._beatified_english.pdf&ei=MYX6UemUHPG24APTjYDwAQ&usg=AFQjCNH9FhVQfQ5xk_alqnsisZ2EFXZBsw
Here's a better link to Fr. Luigi Villa's Paul VI: Beatified?: http://www.chiesaviva.com/paoloVI%20beatoin.pdf

This. After reading this, anyone that thinks Paul VI should be beatified, yet alone canonized , is in denial. Fr. Villa was a hero.
(08-01-2013, 01:30 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote:
(08-01-2013, 11:33 AM)charlesh Wrote: you can push through a fake one at the same time,

Fake one? I thought canonizations were infallible...?

They are, or so I hear.
But, see, if this was Dorothy Day instead of Pius XII, a lot of conservatives would be screaming. Pope Francis might very well skip the whole beatification process for Pius12, just as he waved the second miracle for John23. As Pope, I guess he can do that. It was a pope who stopped canonization by public acclaim, and said,  "I'm taking over." It was a pope who changed (and continues to change) the criteria for sainthood, who instituted a devil's advocate, who ended the devil's advocate (and who could bring it back again), etc. It's all in the Pope's court. The saints are his babies. So many of these canonizations are "political" and not just the post conciliar ones. It goes back to the Reformation.

THAT canonizations are infallible comes from the fallible opinion of most theologians.

(Not that I wouldn't be thrilled if Pope Pius XII was canonized. I would. I think he's a most saintly man).
(08-02-2013, 09:44 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: But, see, if this was Dorothy Day instead of Pius XII, a lot of conservatives would be screaming. Pope Francis might very well skip the whole beatification process for Pius12, just as he waved the second miracle for John23. As Pope, I guess he can do that. It was a pope who stopped canonization by public acclaim, and said,  "I'm taking over." It was a pope who changed (and continues to change) the criteria for sainthood, who instituted a devil's advocate, who ended the devil's advocate (and who could bring it back again), etc. It's all in the Pope's court. The saints are his babies. So many of these canonizations are "political" and not just the post conciliar ones. It goes back to the Reformation.

THAT canonizations are infallible comes from the fallible opinion of most theologians.

(Not that I wouldn't be thrilled if Pope Pius XII was canonized. I would. I think he's a most saintly man).

Given that the Pope is infallible when defining faith and morals and I would suspect declaring someone a saint would fall into the "faith and morals" category, ergo, the Canonization of Saints by the Pope is infallible.