Eastern Rite Churches
(08-01-2013, 09:36 PM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: I have thought of driving 45 minutes to visit a Byzantine church.  Do women cover their heads?  Is it beautiful?  Is it more reverent than the OF of the Mass?  I know it is called the Divine Liturgy, but that is all I know.  I have looked at a forum about it  but feel very timid about actually checking it out for real.

Depends on where you go you may see women covering their heads. But the Divine Liturgy is beautiful and, unless someone is half-assing it, very reverent and beautiful. It's pretty different from the Mass, either the EF or the OF.
(08-01-2013, 11:31 AM)AstroKitty Wrote:        What's the diff between the Latin & Eastern Rite Churches?  Are the Easterns more orthodox( no pun intended)?  What's the diff between Eastern Catholics & Eastern Orthodox?
Just in case we lose the EF. ??? :shrug:
  Any advice, links, etc., would help.

When it comes to the obvious and blatant, one of the most obvious is that the EC will mention the Pope in their DL when the Orthodox obviously won't. The EC also almost never use the Filioque when reciting the Creed anymore.

But, honestly, I've found reading books like "The Orthodox Church" by +Kallistos (Timothy) Ware as the best way to introduce a person to Eastern Christianity in general, considering the similarities of the EC and the EO. There are many differences, though, of course, the EC and the Latins harmonize the differences. If you have any specific questions, please, ask away.
(08-01-2013, 11:31 AM)AstroKitty Wrote:        What's the diff between the Latin & Eastern Rite Churches?  Are the Easterns more orthodox( no pun intended)?  What's the diff between Eastern Catholics & Eastern Orthodox?

Here's a Byzantine Catholic church near you:

http://www.stbasilsinirving.org/
Of course the best way to find out about an Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy is to attend it, and I think every Catholic should try it at least a few times (you may be hooked).

Besides Byzantine, there is also the (very similar) Ukrainian Catholic rite and others [Oh I see that a lot more information was given earlier in thread!]. Here is a clip of part of of a Ukrainian Divine Liturgy that I thought was particularly beautiful.

Here are more youtube choices like this from the same Church:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ukrainian+liturgy+Assumption+Perth+Amboy&oq=ukrainian+liturgy+Assumption+Perth+Amboy&gs_l=youtube.3...4376.4376.0.6117.1.1.0.0.0.0.142.142.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.0DOwNrCvHoo

(To get this within youtube search for "ukrainian liturgy Assumption Perth Amboy")

I haven't been to this Perth Amboy church. I usually go to the TLM now, but attended a (much poorer) Ukrainian Catholic Church for years (although I was Latin rite).
(08-01-2013, 11:29 PM)Doce Me Wrote: Besides Byzantine, there is also the (very similar) Ukrainian Catholic rite and others [Oh I see that a lot more information was given earlier in thread!].

Yes, the Ukrainian Catholic Church is just one of the numerous Byzantine Rite Churches in Union with the Holy Father. :)
(08-01-2013, 09:05 PM)AstroKitty Wrote: WOW :O You did your homework!  Thanks! :tiphat:

No problem,  :) when I was returning to the Faith, being a lover of History, I quickly learned about the Eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholics, so coming across all these terms(Byzantines, Eastern Catholics, Coptics etc.) I did feel a bit overwhelming, so I've spent a good deal of time, unraveling the complexeties and relationships of the Easterners on both sides of the Schism(s) to make things clearer for me, and others.
(08-01-2013, 10:40 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:

Here's a Byzantine Catholic church near you:

http://www.stbasilsinirving.org/
Thanks!  And I'm trying to move that way, too.  :)
I will say one thing though. And this is for anyone interested in the Eastern Churches. You should learn Eastern theology and terms and how they understand the faith and traditions/practices. Because the last thing they usually appreciate is Latinizations. It's happened in the past where people fed up with the OF started going to Eastern Churches and began pushing Latin traditions, Latin ways of thinking, and such on them. Such things as the Rosary, devotions to the Sacred Heart, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, or the Stations of the Cross aren't in the Eastern traditions and practices. I know of ECs who say the Rosary, but it just isn't part of their traditions. This often happened with more traditional Catholics who were big on those things, so in going to the EC parish, they basically brought their Latin traditions and practices along and tried to force them on the parish. Thomist theology also isn't huge because of the different way the Eastern Christians approach the entire subject. You'll hear a LOT about the Church Fathers and their theology. You'll probably hear Orthodox saints brought up at times, especially ones from further back closer to the Schism in the 1th century. Gregory Palamas is a saint in the Eastern Catholic tradition, but not in the Latin Catholic tradition (you can still be a Latin Catholic and pray to him, but that's just how it's laid out). You'll hear terms like hesychasm or the energy-essence distinction of God. The Jesus Prayer is very common (in certain ways, it is the Eastern Catholic version of the Rosary, but in other ways, it isn't).

Basically: Don't Latinize, learn their traditions and practices and theology, that kind of stuff. They will absolutely love you for it. That was my experience. Especially when I considered a canonical transfer to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. The priest told me I would have to be learned in their own practices and traditions and theology and such. Even if you don't stay, I HIGHLY recommend it. The Eastern Christians have an absolutely gorgeous way of approaching theology and their practices and traditions are beautiful.

Also, Jesus Prayer. Learn it (it's stupid easy) and pray it often. If possible, follow the command of 1 Thess. 5:17: "Pray without ceasing."
I highly recommend the Byzantine Divine Liturgy for any Roman Rite catholic looking for a traditional liturgy...

I started going 8 1/2 years ago and have been very blessed to find peace there....(Ruthenian )

I'm very fortunate. The Liturgy is beautiful, the priest is excellent, and the cantors are tremendous............

Also, I have found the Ruthenians to be very welcoming. I have made friends there who I have  love and respect for....

Eastern traditions and theology are very beautiful..................

===============
St. Raymond of Penafort, pray for us.....................
(08-03-2013, 06:39 PM)straymondpenafort Wrote: I highly recommend the Byzantine Divine Liturgy for any Roman Rite catholic looking for a traditional liturgy...

I started going 8 1/2 years ago and have been very blessed to find peace there....(Ruthenian )

I'm very fortunate. The Liturgy is beautiful, the priest is excellent, and the cantors are tremendous............

Also, I have found the Ruthenians to be very welcoming. I have made friends there who I have  love and respect for....

Eastern traditions and theology are very beautiful..................

===============
St. Raymond of Penafort, pray for us.....................

Which ruthenian parish do you go to?  I have heard they are the most latinized, so if I ever have the chance to go to a thoroughly eastern ruthenian parish I would love to.