Reason for why we are in this situation
The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His
people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather
than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world
and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very
positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them.    --St. John Eudes

St. John Eudes refers also to the prelates who have been given the charge to observe the supreme law
of the Church, which is the salvation of souls.  This as well means the souls lost through the teaching of error against
the True Church of Jesus Christ, Our Lord by those who set themselves "other" Christs in charge of the false churches.

It's sort of a vicious cycle. If we get the priests we deserve, and the priests we deserve are the ones offering clown Masses, then it'd feed on itself until no one remembers what it was like to have good priests, Masses without the red noses and big shoes. Folks wouldn't know what they're missing or even have a vision for a what a restoration would look like.

On the other hand, I guess that's where trads come in, eh? We all need to fight more, spread the word more, get more priests to offer the TLM and other sacramental rites in the trad way... We need to TEACH more than we do. And we've got to do it while expressing the LOVE and peace of Christ. If we don't do it that way, we'll fail -- and keep getting those bad priests. We trads are our own worst enemies in so many ways. From the hyperbole and bitterness, to the judgmentalism and lack of warmth, we set ourselves up to fail. I'm reminded of this, from The Man with the Black Hat blog which I quote on my page about how to get the TLM going in your parish:
[html]
Quote: Three priests in one East Coast diocese, who enthusiastically awaited the liberation of the Traditional Mass, couldn't wait to learn it. No sooner did they, when they were inundated by complaints from one amateur rubrician after another, about this or that or the other thing. As a result, they no longer celebrate the Traditional Mass, at least not publicly.
[/html]
THREE priests -- gone. Turned off, maybe forever, from our "cause." And they had "enthusiastically awaited" being able to offer the TLM. They "couldn't wait"! May God forgive those amateur rubricians!  The horror of what they've done! How needless and ridiculous and just ugly it all is...

I'd like to comment on what Vox said about the three priests. That attitude is what made the Babylonian Talmud become the guiding light of the Jews. They were never satisfied on any level with what God had given them. I'm not saying we don't need reform, but don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good..

tim