Choreographer of World Youth Day Flash Mob Posed for Gomorrist Publications
(08-07-2013, 11:25 AM)guacamole Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 11:16 AM)lauermar Wrote: For someone like Leah Darrow (ex-fashion model) there is no doubt about her conversion, since she has built her talks around it.

i asked this in another thread, but i'll ask here too.  did leah make restitution of the money she earned being immodest as a top model?  if she did not, did she really repent?  just wonderin'!   ???

You'd better check with the Cattyinfo crowd. Didn't you know that God has appointed them His inquisitors!
My original post was predicated on the fact that this person's past is now being disclosed. If it was not disclosed I wouldn't expect someone to make a public statement, but since this person had a public role at WYD and it was now disclosed about his past sins, this person should also make a public disclosure disavowing the past lifestyle/sin.

It seems to me that WYD is not really about prayer, penance and conversion, but is more about a cash-grab partnership between the Church and the local governments to stimulate local businesses, which are probably owned by people on the organizing committee. Much like the Olympics and other such events. The only difference is that this has a Catholic name attached.

We have to realize that most people who are 'professional Catholics' don't actually know or believe what the Church teaches. I worked at a Catholic high school briefly and realized that few, if any, teachers knew the faith and those that did were modernists. The priests turned a blind-eye to it as long as the day to day work got done. The priests themselves were apathetic to the faith and had mass wearing flip-flops and shorts at a coffee table, so that goes to show you the kind of atmosphere that exists in the Novus Ordo. Now multiply this ignorance by 5000 and you have WYD.
I don't know the woman Leah Darrow, but restitution for sin has to different than before. Could she give the money back to the photographers or publications ?  They'd become richer and more pervasive with that money returned. I'd think becoming a good steward of the money and using some for your daily needs, while keeping your speaking fees to a minimum, and distributing it where there is need, is a better course. Just my thoughts.

Who knows if this dancer is repentant ? But the remark that the "brains" behind these kinds of "spectacles" are goofy, and leave the Bishops little choice is probably more accurate than we know. The truly Apostate Bishops would see this as silly, and would much prefer being a comedian or such on Jay Leno. In fact in a few more years after no one remembers Father Guido Sarducci, I fully expect one of them to be a real rock and gossip columnist for "L' Osservatore Romano" and doing stand-up comedy in night clubs. Not to mention dating a 21st century Claudia Cardinale. Perhaps a bunga bunga party girl.

The thing about these Extravaganzas which gets me is the contradictions. Because the precedent has been set, I'm not sure this can be dropped. There would be an uproar and the Papacy would suffer. I think if I were Pope this entire thing would be changed. I'd find some rock bands which are technically fine musicians, and as close to right thinking as possible. The venue for their playing would be three days (nights) and their concerts would end by 10:00 pm---Lights out, kids. On the fourth day I'd have the Pontifical Mass sung by the very best and after that I'd scoot.

tim 
I'm just thinking that at the very least this was not prudent.  With all of the gay lobby questions/scandals, etc we really had to involve a gay person (which we don't know whether he is openly gay or not)?

Oh wait, I just figured it out.  The Church is trying to present itself as more gay-friendly.

Because what others think of the Church has always been top priority.
(08-07-2013, 12:12 PM)2Vermont Wrote: I'm just thinking that at the very least this was not prudent.  With all of the gay lobby questions/scandals, etc we really had to involve a gay person (which we don't know whether he is openly gay or not)?

Oh wait, I just figured it out.  The Church is trying to present itself as more gay-friendly.

Because what others think of the Church has always been top priority.

You think?!  :LOL:
Tim, not everyone likes the same sort of rock music. This is what sucks about going to an NO church. It's very much like the radio. One church plays crappy 1960s *celtic* type folk garbage, another plays 1960s Peter, Paul & Mary folk type garbage, another plays 1960s Beatles type folk garbage and so on. I went to a church for confession recently and the mass had these terrible folksy troupe playing. The ushers were talking amongst each other about basket ball and stretching and some asian guy was banging along to the music on a pew. It was super annoying because I hate ALL protestant sounding worship music and the mass went over time, bleeding into confession hour (can you believe it, we get an hour! yay?).

I guess you could get a bunch of Taize musicians and inch the people slowly over to tradition.
Morgan I wasn't clear enough, the Rock Bands would be very separate from Mass. The Mass would be Gregorian only. The bands would be to make it a party for them, and the reason I'd pick technically fine bands is that's the music everyone likes no matter their fave goofy bands. It's be like Earth Wind and Fire, or, Chicago, or, Blood Sweat and Tears. or Electric Light Orchestra, or Jethro Tull, or Pink Floyd, or Crosby Stills and Nash. Maybe Weather Report and all of them playing together each other's tunes.

tim
(08-07-2013, 11:57 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: It seems to me that WYD is not really about prayer, penance and conversion, but is more about a cash-grab partnership between the Church and the local governments to stimulate local businesses, which are probably owned by people on the organizing committee. Much like the Olympics and other such events. The only difference is that this has a Catholic name attached.

Huh.  I never thought of it that way,  I wonder whether this is the real reason the Pope didn't speak about abortion......