Communion in a Plastic Cup
Did you guys see this?

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2013...iving.html

How is this defensible?  Or is this more "oh you mad rad trads!"

Very depressing. 
"World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro showed a lack of sacramental understanding of the Eucharist, visible in a new "modern" form of Holy Eucharist. The consecrated Hosts were held in plastic cups. These containers went from hand to hand, were passed out by priests, laity, women and men, and give to the faithful, being passed over their heads."

If this passage and the accompanying picture is true, then a cup filled with hosts passed from person to person like this appears to be a form of self-communication. I'm not a liturgical expert, but it looks "fishy" to me---pun intended. I read somewhere that self-communication is a liturgical abuse which might invalidate the communion. Again, I'm no expert but this is something that I would avoid as a prudent person not fully educated in canon law but suspects something is wrong. Which is what (late) Fr. Hesse, who was a canon lawyer, told us to do, if there is doubt.
Do we have any idea how many bishops, priests, and deacons were at WYD who could have served as ordinary ministers for Holy Communion? 
(08-07-2013, 10:47 AM)lauermar Wrote: "World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro showed a lack of sacramental understanding of the Eucharist, visible in a new "modern" form of Holy Eucharist. The consecrated Hosts were held in plastic cups. These containers went from hand to hand, were passed out by priests, laity, women and men, and give to the faithful, being passed over their heads."

If this passage and the accompanying picture is true, then a cup filled with hosts passed from person to person like this appears to be a form of self-communication. I'm not a liturgical expert, but it looks "fishy" to me---pun intended. I read somewhere that self-communication is a liturgical abuse which might invalidate the communion. Again, I'm no expert but this is something that I would avoid as a prudent person not fully educated in canon law but suspects something is wrong. Which is what (late) Fr. Hesse, who was a canon lawyer, told us to do, if there is doubt.

The plastic cups were used to show HU-MI-LI-TY. After all there are poor people in the world and it is a sin to have more than they do. Guess Christ was mistaken when He said, "For the poor you have always with you; but me you have not always."
When I see these things show up one after the other, it is amazing that Catholics aren't leaving the Church in droves. This happened at an event the pope attended. The only logical conclusion is that the pope condones such appalling stunts such as this. We are dealing with a Hierarchy that is infested with clergy who do not believe in the Real Presence. 

The average Catholic must not believe in it either.
Sickening.
(08-07-2013, 12:53 PM)Whitey Wrote: When I see these things show up one after the other, it is amazing that Catholics aren't leaving the Church in droves. This happened at an event the pope attended. The only logical conclusion is that the pope condones such appalling stunts such as this. We are dealing with a Hierarchy that is infested with clergy who do not believe in the Real Presence. 

Unfortunately I keep coming back to the fact that pro-abortion politicians were allowed to receive communion at the PAPAL mass (so what's a bunch of plastic cups!?).  I've heard the usual excuses for why that was allowed (and I'm sure certain posters will come in here to reiterate them), but I'm done with it. And then we hear maybe a month later(?) that the Pope's answer to this is that HE won't hand out communion in future masses.  Yup, just because HE doesn't hand it out makes all of the rest just peachy.
(08-07-2013, 01:17 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 12:53 PM)Whitey Wrote: When I see these things show up one after the other, it is amazing that Catholics aren't leaving the Church in droves. This happened at an event the pope attended. The only logical conclusion is that the pope condones such appalling stunts such as this. We are dealing with a Hierarchy that is infested with clergy who do not believe in the Real Presence. 

Unfortunately I keep coming back to the fact that pro-abortion politicians were allowed to receive communion at the PAPAL mass (so what's a bunch of plastic cups!?).  I've heard the usual excuses for why that was allowed (and I'm sure certain posters will come in here to reiterate them), but I'm done with it. And then we hear maybe a month later(?) that the Pope's answer to this is that HE won't hand out communion in future masses.  Yup, just because HE doesn't hand it out makes all of the rest just peachy.

Well excuse him for not being able to recognize all of the world's pro-death politicians.
In all honesty regarding these hosts that were in a plastic cup, I have grave doubts whether Transubstantiation actually took place during that Mass, Pope or no Pope. Having witnessed the Pope's first outside mass in St. peter's just after his election, I also had doubts about whether the hosts were consecrated. This might seem extremely drastic and shocking statements from me, but the state of the Church is such that a small percentage of Novus Ordo priests actually consecrate, as they do not believe in the True Presence! Young people with any sense would avoid these Youth Celebrations as their is more poison than grace on show!