Communion in a Plastic Cup
(08-07-2013, 01:36 PM)devoutchristian Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 01:17 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 12:53 PM)Whitey Wrote: When I see these things show up one after the other, it is amazing that Catholics aren't leaving the Church in droves. This happened at an event the pope attended. The only logical conclusion is that the pope condones such appalling stunts such as this. We are dealing with a Hierarchy that is infested with clergy who do not believe in the Real Presence. 

The average Catholic must not believe in it either.

Unfortunately I keep coming back to the fact that pro-abortion politicians were allowed to receive communion at the PAPAL mass (so what's a bunch of plastic cups!?).  I've heard the usual excuses for why that was allowed (and I'm sure certain posters will come in here to reiterate them), but I'm done with it. And then we hear maybe a month later(?) that the Pope's answer to this is that HE won't hand out communion in future masses.  Yup, just because HE doesn't hand it out makes all of the rest just peachy.

Well excuse him for not being able to recognize all of the world's pro-death politicians.

Like I said, certain posters will come in here to reiterate the usual excuses.
Inaestimabile Donum - Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship

“Communion is a gift of the Lord, given to the faithful through the minister appointed for this purpose. It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice; still less that they should hand them from one to another”.

http://www.adoremus.org/InaestimabileDonum.html

(08-07-2013, 02:15 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: Inaestimabile Donum - Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship

“Communion is a gift of the Lord, given to the faithful through the minister appointed for this purpose. It is not permitted that the faithful should themselves pick up the consecrated bread and the sacred chalice; still less that they should hand them from one to another”.

LOL do we really need that to know that handing out Jesus Christ in His Sacramental Presence from a plastic cup hand-to-hand is a disgusting and vile sacrilege?

(btw not having a moan at you for posting that, just mean generally, knowing that a few people in the world would probably defend such a thing)
But even IF priests didn't believe in the Real Presence as it has always bween understood, wouldn't their intention to " do what the Church does" when they say the Consecration (regardless of whatever they might think the Church actually does) be enough for Transubstantiation to take place? "supplied..." something...or is that just the case for baptisms?  ???
(08-07-2013, 02:17 PM)Basilios Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 02:15 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: Inaestimabile Donum - Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship

LOL do we really need that to know that handing out Jesus Christ in His Sacramental Presence from a plastic cup hand-to-hand is a disgusting and vile sacrilege?

(btw not having a moan at you for posting that, just mean generally, knowing that a few people in the world would probably defend such a thing)

I understand completely.  It should be obvious, but what should be obvious often is not.  In addition, there was a question earlier about self-communication, so I thought the actual instruction would be helpful.

+Pax 

(08-07-2013, 02:17 PM)Basilios Wrote:

And I would include defending as remaining silent on the matter.
(08-07-2013, 02:18 PM)Deidre Wrote: But even IF priests didn't believe in the Real Presence as it has always bween understood, wouldn't their intention to " do what the Church does" when they say the Consecration (regardless of whatever they might think the Church actually does) be enough for Transubstantiation to take place? "supplied..." something...or is that just the case for baptisms?  ???

As long as they KNOW what the Church does, then yes, it would be valid. The problem is that if the priest never knew the Church's teaching about transubstantiation, and the sacrificial nature of his priesthood, then there is legitimate doubt about the validity. Fr. Calvin Goodwin, FSSP, has covered this in the past, and it's quite sobering when thinks through this implication.

Some will say, "Well of course he would know because that's what they teach at the seminary". There have been plenty of facts that have come out about how bad the seminaries have been in the last 60 years, so this is not an absolute. In addition, since the NO does not emphasize the sacrificial nature of the Mass and the priesthood nearly as strongly (if at all) as the Tridentine, this only adds to the issue.
The sad thing is that this was truly Christ's body, blood, soul and divinity being passed around in those cups.  I've seen tacky looking vessels for holy communion before but this is sickening on many levels...seeing that plastic cups are disposable and who knows what was done with them after they were passed out?

When I was at Cologne they had a lot of Eucharistic Ministers but they did specifically ask visiting priests to come up to distribute communion, but this was with Benedict XVI there and I think he took more oversight than JPII or Pope Francis
"The sad thing is that this was truly Christ's body, blood, soul and divinity being passed around in those cups."
Sorry Chestertonian, I have a big problem in believing that what was in those cups was Christ's Body - period
(08-07-2013, 03:16 PM)The Poverello Wrote: "The sad thing is that this was truly Christ's body, blood, soul and divinity being passed around in those cups."
Sorry Chestertonian, I have a big problem in believing that what was in those cups was Christ's Body - period

Even if the cup contained non-consecrated Hosts, the fact that they were administered as such is a Faith destroying act. What picture does it send to those who received those Hosts ?

Compared to this ? ............................

[Image: Holy-communion1.jpg]

Which picture implies something very special is going on ? Which one implies a more casual act ?

[Image: blogger-image-1279517283.jpg]