Poll: Does the FE forum have a lot of trolls?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Trolls
a troll is someone who posts only to provoke people.

someone who holds a minority viewpoint is not a troll, even if that provokes people.

someone who uses humor or satire to make a point is not a troll, even if that provokes people.
(08-14-2013, 04:28 AM)guacamole Wrote: a troll is someone who posts only to provoke people.

someone who holds a minority viewpoint is not a troll, even if that provokes people.

someone who uses humor or satire to make a point is not a troll, even if that provokes people.

I agree with all of the above. With re. to the minority viewpoint part, though, if the viewpoint held isn't Catholic, then the person should respect that he's posting on a Catholic forum and he shouldn't try to argue us out of our positions. The problems come when some people see things as "not Catholic" when they are or well could be, and vice versa. But that makes for juicy debates :P  As long as things are kept respectful, there are no problems with that!
I qualify as a troll sometimes lololol.

But there is only one person here who is a troll but I haven't seen him/her post lately.

Edit. Just saw that said person has been discovered by vox. Thanks be to God. I knew something was fishy.
(08-14-2013, 03:29 AM)Whitey Wrote: Trolls are generally those who post with the intention of getting a rise out of others. They think it's funny.

But there are other sorts that would be likened to a troll. An example would be the average NO/mainstream Catholic who registers at FE to ridicule and contradict trads. They know they will incite anger and such, and that is why I'd put them in the troll family. They are different from the NO Catholic who is here to debate and discuss.

This.  Not just to ridicule or contradict, but to bait.
their motives and beliefs

(my careless proofreading)  :blush:

whoops.  I think I just accidentally deleted my post, in my editing of it.  (Good job.  :LOL:)
(08-14-2013, 08:56 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: I consider trolls to be those posters who are saboteurs and thus toxic to a discussion forum, because there motives and beliefs are at cross-purposes to the forum itself.  They often seek attention and hide their purposes under cover of "humor."

I agree Whitey that the best thing is to ignore them, which is precisely what I do.  They feed off attention.

I agree with you and Whitey there, Miss Miriam. Ignoring trolls is definitely, IMO, the best way to make them go "poof!" -- and there's the added benefit of angering them in the process, making them feel invisible and ineffective.

Sometimes, though, depending on the type of troll and what they're up to, a ban is in order. Thus far, however, it seems as if most folks are on the side of either thinking there aren't a whole lot of trolls, or  thinking that at least a few trolls lively up the place. There's something to be said about having a few "good" trolls about -- and by "good," I mean those who are likely to incite discussion and debate, as long as things stay civil (always a big "if"). If everyone were to agree with everyone else, down to the last jot and tittle, there'd be not a thing to talk about, eh?

(08-14-2013, 01:51 AM)Whitey Wrote: Trolls have infected the tank. How we gonna deal with them ?

I say ignore them, because with trolls, even a single reply hands them victory on a platter.

what do others think ?

Trolls have been here for years.  Where have you been?  According to your own definition, you have been a troll at times.....
(08-14-2013, 02:51 AM)Basilios Wrote: Worst troll on the forum is Vox Clamantis.

I think I am finally getting your sense of humor, or shall I spell that as humour?
(08-14-2013, 04:28 AM)guacamole Wrote: a troll is someone who posts only to provoke people.

Good definition.

(08-14-2013, 09:34 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 08:56 AM)Miriam_M Wrote: I consider trolls to be those posters who are saboteurs and thus toxic to a discussion forum, because there motives and beliefs are at cross-purposes to the forum itself.  They often seek attention and hide their purposes under cover of "humor."

I agree Whitey that the best thing is to ignore them, which is precisely what I do.  They feed off attention.

I agree with you and Whitey there, Miss Miriam. Ignoring trolls is definitely, IMO, the best way to make them go "poof!" -- and there's the added benefit of angering them in the process, making them feel invisible and ineffective.

Sometimes, though, depending on the type of troll and what they're up to, a ban is in order. Thus far, however, it seems as if most folks are on the side of either thinking there aren't a whole lot of trolls, or  thinking that at least a few trolls lively up the place. There's something to be said about having a few "good" trolls about -- and by "good," I mean those who are likely to incite discussion and debate, as long as things stay civil (always a big "if"). If everyone were to agree with everyone else, down to the last jot and tittle, there'd be not a thing to talk about, eh?

For myself, when I see a post of discussion and it makes me feel like I'm over at CAF, chances are it's probably a troll !  :LOL:

That is not true. Religion, geopolitics, and social issues (all things this forum subscribes to) are very provocative issues by their nature, and it invokes passion because of their importance in perspective to the trivial world.  A purpose of a Forum is to debate issues,  if the issues hold no deep meaning of importance, then they are just trivialities.  A Troll has no respect for the debate and forum process, because they don't serve a purpose of adding to the conversation in legitimate way with any post.  THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY.

The word troll is thrown about like a communist label in the 50s.  Don't like what you say, your a troll.  Don't like how you say it, your a troll (disrespectful would be a better term). Hold a minority opinion, your a troll. Say something provocative (but legitimate in the sense that it is held as an intelligent belief by the poster) your a troll.  To collude to not engage people who push the conversation in a way they believe valid is the equivalent of an Amish shun. Tell someone if you don't like the tone or the post, especially if it is in conflict with forum rules, or personally don't respond. But the last thing any forum should do is openly choose to collude to ignore posters who put points on the table.