Poll: Does the FE forum have a lot of trolls?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Trolls
(08-14-2013, 11:14 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote:  Don't like what you say, your a troll.  Don't like how you say it, your a troll (disrespectful would be a better term). Hold a minority opinion, your a troll. 

darlin', that's basically what i said.  jeepers!  :shrug:
"Provoke" I believe is what you said, and is what I quoted in response. Apparently, words matter
To me a "real troll" is not the ever expanding definition used by some to include any one nor anal retentive and or that doesn't make their case like the bane of humanity the "slightly bright" that must see every iteration and folks which can go premise and arrive at zed in one stroke. That was tough without naming names. "Real Trolls" are the saboteurs and provocateurs. If you lived through the 60's, the revolutionaries always use them to undermine to institution.  Gloria Steinem was exposed in the 70's as an agent provocateur on the CIA payroll, and everyone yawned because they believed in what she changed.  Then there are what I call "knot heads" these are the folks you can't convince with facts. Before SD we were chock full of them and Vox termed them rigorists. Nuance was a French word they didn't understand at all, actually completely. Right now there are two candidates I suspect. One has been here for nearly ever. The other is new and I suspect on a brand new mission.

Vox if you want to know what I think email me. I don't want it in pm because certain folks here can pick that lock too easily. It's got to be hush hush.

tim

I don't know what is going on with my laptop it skips words as I type or something. I edited the run on sentence below to what I intended but perhaps more than I originally typed. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

To me a "real troll" is not the ever expanding definition used by some, to include any one not as anal retentive as they are, and or that doesn't make their case like the bane of humanity the "slightly bright" that must show see every iteration, or they don't get it,  and thenget angry with folks which can go from the premise and poof arrive at zed in one stroke.
When I was 5, my friend from across the street and I went troll hunting one day looking under three bridges on our block. Didn't find any.

I don't think trolls are real. They're mythical creatures that's all.  ???
(08-14-2013, 11:25 AM)Tim Wrote: To me a "real troll" is not the ever expanding definition used by some to include any one nor anal retentive and or that doesn't make their case like the bane of humanity the "slightly bright" that must see every iteration and folks which can go premise and arrive at zed in one stroke.

what?!  ???
well, a number of people have said i was trolling so there must be something to it.  at the very least, i have troll-like tendencies.

maybe i will just share recipes in the health, food, drink and tobacco subforum.  food and health are serious interests of mine, anyway.

i guess i've made any points i needed to make.  don't want to beat it to death.  i might pop in to discussions about the faith if i can help or have real questions, but otherwise, i'll be in health, food, drink and tobacco.
(08-14-2013, 11:14 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 04:28 AM)guacamole Wrote: a troll is someone who posts only to provoke people.

That is not true. Religion, geopolitics, and social issues (all things this forum subscribes to) are very provocative issues by their nature, and it invokes passion because of their importance in perspective to the trivial world.  A purpose of a Forum is to debate issues,  if the issues hold no deep meaning of importance, then they are just trivialities.  A Troll has no respect for the debate and forum process, because they don't serve a purpose of adding to the conversation in legitimate way with any post.  THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY.

The word troll is thrown about like a communist label in the 50s.  Don't like what you say, your a troll.  Don't like how you say it, your a troll (disrespectful would be a better term). Hold a minority opinion, your a troll. Say something provocative (but legitimate in the sense that it is held as an intelligent belief by the poster) your a troll.  To collude to not engage people who push the conversation in a way they believe valid is the equivalent of an Amish shun. Tell someone if you don't like the tone or the post, especially if it is in conflict with forum rules, or personally don't respond. But the last thing any forum should do is openly choose to collude to ignore posters who put points on the table.  

I think it's definitely true that the word "troll" is overused -- pretty much in the same way that some trads overuse the word "modernist."  And I don't want anyone to openly "collude" to shun people, which is one reason why I asked that names not be used in this thread.  I do think, though, that individuals ignoring folks they'd rather not deal with is just fine -- especially if their dealing with them pushes their buttons such that they get angry,  say things they regret, and, in the process, turn threads into little pissing contests that interest no one but the two involved.

But the way in which you're defining "troll" above is pretty much how I define it (to be clear, though, I exclude from the definition folks who post on-topic but funny things that make the threads more entertaining). And it seems to me that that's how Guacamole defined it, too. She said people who post ONLY to provoke, while also mentioning that having a minority opinion doesn't make one a troll. I'm not sure why you're arguing against her there.
(08-14-2013, 11:25 AM)Tim Wrote: Vox if you want to know what I think email me. I don't want it in pm because certain folks here can pick that lock too easily. It's got to be hush hush.

tim

Um, what? 
(08-14-2013, 11:46 AM)guacamole Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 11:25 AM)Tim Wrote: To me a "real troll" is not the ever expanding definition used by some to include any one nor anal retentive and or that doesn't make their case like the bane of humanity the "slightly bright" that must see every iteration and folks which can go premise and arrive at zed in one stroke.

what?!   ???

This! LOL 

What the heck were you trying to say here, Tim? You lost me after the phrase "to me," I think!
(08-14-2013, 11:14 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 04:28 AM)guacamole Wrote: a troll is someone who posts only to provoke people.

That is not true. Religion, geopolitics, and social issues (all things this forum subscribes to) are very provocative issues by their nature, and it invokes passion because of their importance in perspective to the trivial world.  A purpose of a Forum is to debate issues,  if the issues hold no deep meaning of importance, then they are just trivialities.  A Troll has no respect for the debate and forum process, because they don't serve a purpose of adding to the conversation in legitimate way with any post.  THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY.

The word troll is thrown about like a communist label in the 50s.  Don't like what you say, your a troll.  Don't like how you say it, your a troll (disrespectful would be a better term). Hold a minority opinion, your a troll. Say something provocative (but legitimate in the sense that it is held as an intelligent belief by the poster) your a troll.  To collude to not engage people who push the conversation in a way they believe valid is the equivalent of an Amish shun. Tell someone if you don't like the tone or the post, especially if it is in conflict with forum rules, or personally don't respond. But the last thing any forum should do is openly choose to collude to ignore posters who put points on the table.  

I don't think this thread is doing this.  I think ultimately it is suggesting that we ignore, but of course each one of us will have to make the determination on which posters to ignore.  It would be one thing if we started mentioning poster SN's.