Ideological-Theological Spectrum of Self-Identified Catholics
I'm a perfect fit for "traditionalist" except I don't know what Quanta Cura said.

My beliefs have hardly changed in the last decade, but for other reasons a few years ago I was an even split with "conservative."
(08-15-2013, 07:22 PM)lumine Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 07:02 PM)guacamole Wrote: lumine, it sounds to me like you are conservative, leaning traditionalist, and your wife may be a whacko liberal.

Well, according to this chart, anyway, Guacamole.  Have I said yet that I love guacamole and plain, fresh avacados (es?)
You've got me pegged.

I also love chanting, especially Gregorian.  I do like "Gather Us In" (don't hate me too much) and I also love Anima Christi Sanctifica Me, polyphony usually.  I am not ultramontane, however when you are Catholic the Pope is the final authority. I do wear the brown scapular, and have been invested/enrolled by my pastor.  I love the Liturgy of the Hours and I do have my own Baronius Press 1962 Roman Missal. I pray the Rosary as regularly as I can, and yes I do pray the Luminous Mysteries sometimes. I love going to daily Mass(Novus Ordo) and I do go to an EF Mass on Sundays.  Currently I am reading "No Man Is An Island" by Thomas Merton.  Make what you will out of all of that, anyone.

Oh, and my favorite Credo to chant is Credo III......

Sounds like a Catholic to me.

We aren't made in one mould.
Heavily trad, with one foot in rad, but like Armor of Light, body required to be elsewhere too often.  I make up for that on Holy Days, feast days, some weekdays, which possibly serves as a kind of corrective and restorative cleansing.  (Awesome, awesome Mass of the Assumption last night; you guys would never believe that it was occurring in 2013.  A total and joyous time-freeze.) Definitely rivaled anything I've seen from Rome, post-Council, with possibly the best part being no ingratiating multi-lingual translations in every vernacular on planet Earth.  Latin, with only the homily in English.   And that was only one of its many, many authentic features.  Joy among the congregants was palpable after Mass, lingering outside with similarly joyful celebrant.  I don't know how trads supposedly get the reputation of being sad & solemn.  Ain't ever been true at this parish.  

Praise be to God.
I'm surprised to see "charismatic renewal" under the liberal category.  In my experience, charismatic Catholics have tended to be theologically conservative.
The "conservative" section seems more tilted towards those who are "aligned" with Blessed JP2 and Benedict XVI.  I'd fall under that category, although it depends on two things:

1)  I'm pro Paul VI, but also pro-Pius XII (do those cancel each other out?)
2)  Apparently the charismatic renewal is liberal, despite the hundreds of charismatics I know *plus* the Society of Apostolic Life I know being very orthodox.
I'm with Jayne there the family I knew were pretty much conservative maybe a teeny bit toward traditional. What set them apart was their incessant praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and their charismatic healing bent. They went to St. John Cantius for the sung NO Mass every Sunday.

tim
(08-15-2013, 08:22 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 06:59 PM)lumine Wrote: I don't think there are ambiguities in the Vatican II Documents.  They are written in a way that promotes higher level thinking (remember that phrase from your college days, anyone?)

Reminds me of the 'Higher Criticism' by which the prots and rationalists attempted to destroy the Faith.

Well, obviously that wasn't my line of thought, considering I'm Catholic.

Here you go, higher criticism:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04491c.htm
(08-16-2013, 10:49 AM)Melchior Wrote: 2)  Apparently the charismatic renewal is liberal, despite the hundreds of charismatics I know *plus* the Society of Apostolic Life I know being very orthodox.

You and I live relatively close to each other.  I wonder if this preponderance of orthodox charismatics that we have experienced is a local phenomenon.  Maybe, in other places, many of the them are liberal.
More labels... just what we need.
(08-16-2013, 11:17 AM)OldMan Wrote: More labels... just what we need.

It's just for the lols, man.  :grin: