Ideological-Theological Spectrum of Self-Identified Catholics
(08-16-2013, 02:18 PM)Richard C Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 02:03 PM)JayneK Wrote: I can strongly relate to what you have posted here.  I am moving more and more in this direction.  I have lots of opinions on assorted liturgical and doctrinal matters, but they are seeming less important than working on my prayer life and developing virtue.  I am noticing that the energy I used to put into my opinions is being redirected to these more practical things.

I decided last winter to focus on the Mass and the Rosary, myself. I'm putting together a booklist for myself that I want to re-read every year so I can keep close to the heart of the Faith. Maybe I'll start a thread about it here. Gosh, it's been ages since I started a thread anywhere.

I hope you do.  Sometimes, one could get the impression that traditionalism is about arguing and complaining.  But really, at its best, traditionalism is about drawing on the treasures of tradition in order to grow closer to God.  We need more threads about that.
(08-16-2013, 02:26 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 02:18 PM)Richard C Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 02:03 PM)JayneK Wrote: I can strongly relate to what you have posted here.  I am moving more and more in this direction.  I have lots of opinions on assorted liturgical and doctrinal matters, but they are seeming less important than working on my prayer life and developing virtue.  I am noticing that the energy I used to put into my opinions is being redirected to these more practical things.

I decided last winter to focus on the Mass and the Rosary, myself. I'm putting together a booklist for myself that I want to re-read every year so I can keep close to the heart of the Faith. Maybe I'll start a thread about it here. Gosh, it's been ages since I started a thread anywhere.

I hope you do.  Sometimes, one could get the impression that traditionalism is about arguing and complaining.  But really, at its best, traditionalism is about drawing on the treasures of tradition in order to grow closer to God.  We need more threads about that.

I went for it. I'd love to hear your list.
The chart would place me in the "Radical Traditionalist" category, but if you know me you'd know there is not much radical about me, except that I am a believing, practicing traditional Catholic and all that ordinarily entails in daily life.

The best decription for me is anti-sedevacantist, SSPX, pro-Fellay, moderate traditionalist.  I would never attend a chapel that is sedevacantist or takes sedevacantist positions, such as use of pre-62 liturgical books.  I also would never attend approved Masses to fulfill my Sunday obligation where the priestly society, priest, or parish accepts the New Religion (ie the errors of Vatican II and the Novus Ordo).  I think the minority in the SSPX who think and act like Williamson and the so-called "resistance" are better off ousted from the Society and ignored.  I support the policy of Bishop Fellay which I believe is exactly that of Archbishop Lefebvre.   I consider myself a moderate in the SSPX movement because I am repelled by rigorism and pharaseeical attitudes which I have found to be common.
(08-16-2013, 12:19 PM)JayneK Wrote: Basically there are two kinds of Canadians, those who live in Toronto and those who resent Toronto.   :)
The Toronto Song:
(08-15-2013, 04:12 PM)RedCaves Wrote: Where do you fall?

I'm somewhere between Conservative and Traditionalist, with 1-2% purple color.

This reminds me of the Electromagnetic Spectrum! :D

I'm somewhere between Traditionalist and Radical Traditionalist.
(08-16-2013, 03:31 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: The chart would place me in the "Radical Traditionalist" category, but if you know me you'd know there is not much radical about me, except that I am a believing, practicing traditional Catholic and all that ordinarily entails in daily life.

The best decription for me is anti-sedevacantist, SSPX, pro-Fellay, moderate traditionalist.  I would never attend a chapel that is sedevacantist or takes sedevacantist positions, such as use of pre-62 liturgical books.  I also would never attend approved Masses to fulfill my Sunday obligation where the priestly society, priest, or parish accepts the New Religion (ie the errors of Vatican II and the Novus Ordo).  I think the minority in the SSPX who think and act like Williamson and the so-called "resistance" are better off ousted from the Society and ignored.  I support the policy of Bishop Fellay which I believe is exactly that of Archbishop Lefebvre.   I consider myself a moderate in the SSPX movement because I am repelled by rigorism and pharaseeical attitudes which I have found to be common.

You would risk going to Hell for for not fulfilling the Sunday obligation just because you don't like the celebrant of the Mass? ya, nothing radical about that :eyeroll:
Jayne and Richard, I agree. When I returned to faith and saw what was going on here with flame wars among differing degrees of self described trads, I decided the only help was to develop a prayer life because these flame wars solved nothing. It's amazing the peace which comes with it. Your energy is re-directed and the Holy Ghost keeps you pointed in the direction of salvation, leaving the vain pursuits behind. Better still He puts people on your path He wants you to help as His instrument.
The Rosary of Our Lady comes with so much actual grace it's amazing. Temptations from the outside run at the mere mention of her name Mary. It really is the third leg on the three legged stool; The Church, the Sacraments, and Devotions especially the Rosary to keep us on the path.

tim