An Old Priestly Vocation Video

A 1964 Dominican Province of Saint Joseph vocation film written by Fr. Dominic Rover, O.P., and narrated by Dana Elcar. The scenes included here were filmed at St. Stephen Priory in Dover, MA, the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C., and St. Dominic Church, Washington, D.C. From the archives of the Dominican Theological Library (www.dhs.edu) at the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C. The 1964 video, while still containing valid insights into Dominican life, never received wide circulation due to changes introduced after the Second Vatican Council.

Kind of depressing to see how everything looks so traditional and sane yet Modernism must have been behind the scenes, or an exagerated idea of obedience because it all fell apart in just a couple of years.
Yes, it made me feel sad.  I don't like looking at home movies or old photographs either. All I can think about is how I was feeling at the time, what I was doing, and how I wish I could go back and change it all. I watched this video and felt a pang in my heart knowing the chaos waiting just around the corner. The friars in the film and the vocation directors were clueless, still innocent.
(08-16-2013, 02:48 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: Kind of depressing to see how everything looks so traditional and sane yet Modernism must have been behind the scenes, or an exagerated idea of obedience because it all fell apart in just a couple of years.

I bet it was more "this is what we're doing, and we have to do it because we swore obedience, so let's make the most of it."