What Books Do You Read Every Year?
I'm making an annual reading list to keep me close to the heart of the Faith.  I'd like to see yours. 

I figure six short books is all I can hope to commit to for a lifetime.  I want to read them on schedule every year.  Here's what I've come up with:

January/February ("Source and Summit") The Holy Mass -- Dom Prosper Guaranger

March/April (Lent) The Spirt of Penance -- Dom Hubert Van Zeller

May/June (Sacred Heart/Corpus Christi) The Mass and Cavalry -- Abp. Fulton Sheen

July/August (for reasons of my temperment) Journey from the Head to the Heart -- Fr. Stephen Valenta

September/October (Month of the Rosary) The Secret of the Rosary -- St. Louis de Montfort

November/December (death/holy souls/Incarnation of Our Lord) Humility of Heart -- Rev. Cajetan da Bergamo

I don't have a yearly reading plan like yours, but there are a few books I have regularly reread for Advent or Lent:

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

Frequent Confession by Fr. Benedict Baur

Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli (or an easier version Spiritual Combat Revisited by Fr. Jonathon Robinson)

How do you work your reading?  Do you read a bit each day over the assigned months or go through the books more quickly?
(08-16-2013, 03:10 PM)JayneK Wrote: I don't have a yearly reading plan like yours, but there are a few books I have regularly reread for Advent or Lent:

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

Frequent Confession by Fr. Benedict Baur

Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli (or an easier version Spiritual Combat Revisited by Fr. Jonathon Robinson)

How do you work your reading?  Do you read a bit each day over the assigned months or go through the books more quickly?

I love reading St. Francis de Sales. The only reason I didn't include him is that I like to pick up his books and read just a chapter at a time.

I just started, but I plan to begin the book around the first day of its assigned block, and read at whatever pace I feel like until I'm done, then repeat.

On average these books are something like 120 pages long, so I won't have to rush, I hope.

And it should leave me plenty of time to read the Bible and Balt. Cathechism throughout the year, and pick up other books whenever I like.
(08-16-2013, 02:51 PM)Richard C Wrote: March/April (Lent) The Spirt of Penance -- Dom Hubert Van Zeller

Have you read this book already? I started reading it a while ago, but only read the first two chapters or so. It was good, but I did not think it was so exceptional to read each year. Perhaps the book really picks up towards the end? I'd be interested in your opinion of the book.
Anything by Bl. Columba Marmion, but especially Christ, the Life of the Soul.  I consider Bl. Columba to be my spiritual father.  He was recommended to me both by the abbot of the benedictine monastery that ran my college and by my wonderful former SSPX priest.

I also keep coming back to Dom M. Eugene Boylan's books, This Tremendous Lover and Difficulties in Mental Prayer.  The latter is a superb explanation of mental prayer and cleared up a lot of confusion about it for me.
(08-16-2013, 03:39 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 02:51 PM)Richard C Wrote: March/April (Lent) The Spirt of Penance -- Dom Hubert Van Zeller

Have you read this book already? I started reading it a while ago, but only read the first two chapters or so. It was good, but I did not think it was so exceptional to read each year. Perhaps the book really picks up towards the end? I'd be interested in your opinion of the book.

Funny, I have only read the first two chapters--twice, in fact--and I think it's amazing. I suspect one's assessment of the book depends on what level of understanding they approach it with. Suffice to say, my education in penance before this bookd was scant. I had already learned a lot of what I was doing badly by the end of chapter 1. Sounds like you're more advanced.
I wasn't sure whether I was going to give my troll response (i..e "I read the Holy Qu'ran etc) or a real response.

So I typed this instead.
(08-16-2013, 03:54 PM)Basilios Wrote: I wasn't sure whether I was going to give my troll response (i..e "I read the Holy Qu'ran etc) or a real response.

So I typed this instead.

:LOL:
(08-16-2013, 02:51 PM)Richard C Wrote: I'm making an annual reading list to keep me close to the heart of the Faith.  I'd like to see yours. 

I figure six short books is all I can hope to commit to for a lifetime.  I want to read them on schedule every year.  Here's what I've come up with:

January/February ("Source and Summit") The Holy Mass -- Dom Prosper Guaranger

March/April (Lent) The Spirt of Penance -- Dom Hubert Van Zeller

May/June (Sacred Heart/Corpus Christi) The Mass and Cavalry -- Abp. Fulton Sheen

July/August (for reasons of my temperment) Journey from the Head to the Heart -- Fr. Stephen Valenta

September/October (Month of the Rosary) The Secret of the Rosary -- St. Louis de Montfort

November/December (death/holy souls/Incarnation of Our Lord) Humility of Heart -- Rev. Cajetan da Bergamo

Journey From the Head to the Heart sounds like it would be very useful for me. :) So I've just ordered it from PaperbackSwap.com. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've never thought of making this kind of reading list. I know that I usually come back to The Story of a Soul about once a year, and that I read Bl. Fulton Sheen's Life of Christ probably about as often. I listen to bits of Revelations of Divine Love (Julian of Norwich) every few months for encouragement, and right now I've been savoring St. Teresa's Way of Perfection and Book of My Life. I've actually found her to be more helpful, in certain ways, than the Little Flower.
This book is pretty much never out of my sight. It's some seriously heavy Marian reading, which means it isn't meant to be read cover-to-cover in one sitting. I find myself reading and re-reading chapters often.......I highly recommend it.
[Image: the_marian_vow_o_4e73ea1f43934.jpg]