I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae
(08-18-2013, 08:49 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I used to feel that way too.  Like I said, I don't feel good about this but it seems to me that even Cardinal Ottavani questioned it.  Logically (not feelings) I just don't see how something that is a "striking departure" from the Catholic Faith can still be "of" the Catholic Faith.  Someone explain to me the logic there because I just don't see it.  Perhaps it is valid, but I believe it is schismatic.  And I can't go to an Orthodox Church to fulfill my Sunday obligation, so I see no difference here. 

Many of you have the TLM every week.  I do not. It's easy to tell someone who doesn't have access to the TLM that I should go to the NO no matter. 

I know that I can be wrong and I wrestle with it.  Just pray for me and my husband.

It's the lawful authority that determines what is and is not schismatic (and who is and isn't in schism - that's why people shouldn't declare the SSPX to be in "full-blown schism"; only the Pope has this power, he has the Keys).  Although Cardinal Ottavani (much like anyone) is entitled to his opinion(s), he isn't the lawful authority to make the declaration that something is now schismatic.  And ultimately, and I think you know this, neither are you.  That's possibly a cause of your inner conflict, where "logically" you seem this as a schismatic Mass - but in your heart you know that the one whom holds the Keys is the only one who can make such a statement.

Disobedience to the Holy See, not attending Mass on Sunday.  Questioning validity.  Denying lawful authority their jurisdiction.  There's two groups that have this in common; liberals and trads who go too far off the deep end.  In the end, they both find themselves in the same location; outside the Church.

I will pray for you and your husband, that you both find peace.

Messages In This Thread
Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - by Melchior - 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM